Assignments & Disappointments

Many would think that the last week of term before the summer holidays would be boring, which it was, but it certainly wasn't a time to relax. All the exams were over and done with but it would take until August to get their results back, creating a tension between pupils. The teachers of the school viewed the seven week break from school as an opportunity for students to forget everything they had ever been taught, and so had issued plenty of homework's with the intention of them being completed over the holiday to keep the students minds fresh. 

That news did not sit well with a certain group of six, and so they had lugged all their workload to a patch of grass near the park, taking advantage of the sun as they aimed to complete every task they had been given before the holiday started so that they could actually enjoy their time off. However, the sheets upon sheets upon sheets of paper formed incredibly large stacks, and it didn't take long for the group to become exhausted over the ideas of polymers, or the American Civil War, or theoretical physics. Luckily, an angel in disguise was sent to ease their minds - the ice cream van. 

Somehow or other, ice cream seemed to suit every single situation, whether it be a celebration, a break up, or six teens with tired minds. When the jingling van rolled to stop infront of the corner Jennifer, Mary, Gale, Ellie, Rebecca and Linda were working on, they hadn't wasted a single second to put down their books and make their way to the open window, desperate to reach it before the young kids from the park. (In the process, it was highly possible that Linda kicked over a small boy, but no one was willing to bring up her ruthless competitiveness.)

Upon reaching the van, Jennifer felt like she had de-aged ten years, marvelling at the assorted flavours. Mint Choc Chip? Perfection. Strawberry? Refreshing. Vanilla? Original. Chocolate? Bearable. Needless to say, it didn't take the group long to hand over their money and dig into their frosty treat. 

"So," Rebecca took a bite from her cone as she looked at Ellie. "How are you and Mathew doing?"

Ellie's face turned the same colour as her strawberry ice cream. "Good, I had dinner with his parents a few nights ago."

A chorus of oo's went around the group, deepening Ellie's blush. She had been dating the said boy for a good few months, that is, after she accidently hit him in the face with her locker door when he tried to ask her out and had to take him to the office. 

Linda shushed everyone's teasing. "Pretty serious, huh?"

"I think so, I mean, I really like him, and his parents are nice."

Jennifer sensed some hesitation in her voice. "But-?"

Sighing, Ellie set down her tub of ice cream. "It's just, what if, what if he doesn't like me as much as I like him?"

"Hey, look at me," Gale rolled onto her knees to hold her hand. "He's head over heels for you, we've all seen it since day one. Why would he introduce you to his parents if he didn't like you, huh?"

"Yeah, you're right." Shaking away any doubts Ellie ate a spoonful of her ice cream. "What about you Jennifer?"

She titled her head to the side. "What about me?"

The group started to laugh, leaving Jennifer incredibly confused. Mary picked up on how lost she looked. "You've been hanging out with some boy after school for months. Are you...y'know-" She leaned in and whispered like it was a conspiracy, "-dating?"

Jennifer chuckled slightly. "No, we're just friends." Everyone raised their eyebrows in disbelief. "I'm serious."

"Uh-huh. Sure you are."