Confessions

It had taken every ounce of Peter's self-control not to do this days ago, but now as his worn, silver dyed boots brushed against the overgrown grass that swung widely in the wind, a part of him wanted to turn around and run. Fear coursed through his body, starting in his stomach and travelling up to his head, clogging his thoughts and driving his imagination crazy. What he was about to do was no easy feat, and the young boy was absolutely terrified that it was just going to make matters worse.

The newly turned seventeen year old did not wish to repeat the events of the night the two teens were last together, couldn't bear to see the tears running down Jennifer's furious face again, didn't want to hear the tremble in her voice as she walked away. It was those things that had impacted Peter the most, not the accusations, not the shouting, but the slight of the usually composed girl breaking down as a result of his actions.

This was his fault, no matter how long it took him to realise, and he had to accept that even if this fractured their relationship even more, he owed her an apology, and it was going to take more than an 'I'm sorry'. He had gone over what to say thousands of times, rehearsing like an actor preparing their lines, but so much weight hung on his shoulders – he had to make this right, even if it was just for one of them, even if it ended up with him having to walk away.

Peter hadn't known what to do when Jennifer had stormed away from him on the street she had almost been ran over on. He wasn't sure if she actually knew what had happened, but it certainly hadn't made her pause and give him a minute to explain. Luckily, Laura Maximoff had dealt with many situations of the sort and had guided her son on what to do.

Unfortunately, there were consequences. As his mother had stressed to him many times, Peter was purely here to tell Jennifer that he realised what he had done that had hurt her so, and whatever happened after that was purely up to the teen girl. If she never wanted to see him again, he had to accept that, and despite knowing the chances of that response, Peter hoped that maybe, just maybe, he could be forgiven and they could go back to being friends, if not something more, but there was a slim chance of that happening.

Taking a deep breath, Peter took the final few paces to the metal door, feeling less and less confident as he raised his hand. He was here to apologise, and he had to be careful not to turn it around and start defending himself again, because the last thing either teen wanted was another debate. This wasn't for him, he had to keep reminding himself, he had to be okay walking away empty handed. With another inhale, Peter knocked the door, the vibrations echoing for a few seconds.

The wind decided to pick up at that moment, crashing against the metal exterior of the building before it once again died down. Peter waited awkwardly for a moment, wondering if the person inside actually heard his tapping. When met with silence, he begun to raise his hand to try again, but stopped abruptly when he heard footsteps nearing him from inside.

In over six months of residing there, not one single person had spared a second glance at the old abandoned building, so hearing knock was a strange occurrence for the sixteen year old who resided inside. Whoever was outside seemed to know that someone was in there otherwise they would've have bothered knocking, which didn't exactly fill Jennifer with comfort. It was fairly obvious to her who stood on the other side of the door, but she frowned anyway as she jumped off of the hammock and approached the door, hoping that maybe she was wrong.

She wasn't. The door slid to the side with the ease as she pushed it, and Jennifer was immediately face to face with the teen Maximoff, his soft eyes meeting her cold gaze. She would've rather the police been standing at the door, coming to arrest her for the string of crimes that gained her a place in society. But she couldn't change who the person in front of her was, so with a sigh of disappointment Jennifer turned away from the door but left it open to allow the boy in out of the cold – just because she couldn't bear the idea of being around Peter didn't make her heartless.