This Is The Last Time

Clocks, originally designed to bring order to human sequences and provide a structure to time, were becoming the worst thing in the world to the two teenagers with a case of puppy love, each individual tick and tock haunting them throughout every hour of the day. It was, quite literally, counting down the seconds until the two would inevitably split and take different paths that would most likely never converge again.

The deadline for Jennifer was leaving was obviously tied with the two breaking up, so the fact that the letter could be waiting for them getting home from their days out/dates certainly put a damper on the mood of the relationship. Everything they did, everywhere they went, it was the last time they would ever experience it, at least together, and so even when faced with the most exciting thing in the world, there was a hollowness to the couple. If they just had more time everything would be perfect – they could slow down, forget about making the most of every moment and properly relax into the relationship, spend less time looking at attractions and more time talking like they used to.

It was only of an evening that time decided to move at its regular pace, when the two had nothing to do other than boring, completely unimportant things that they used to do months ago when they were merely friends getting to know one another. It was nice to go back to that easy come, easy go type style of living, especially when it often ended in the two wrapped in each other's arms on the couch, half asleep as the credits of a movie rolled down the screen. Those were the memories Jennifer knew she would cherish the most when she got home, those were the memories she told tell her mother all about.

However, too much of a good thing meant it would lose its significance and become normal, and that was the purpose of their daytime excursions, to break up the day with something a bit different while still having fun. The duo had seen everything there was to offer, from the brand new aquarium to the highest hill in the town, marked by a laminated cardboard sign someone had put up. Unfortunately though, the small town was not known for its attractions and so, after only a week, there was only one more way to spent their time, and that involved fully coming to terms with what would occur sometime in the next few days.

There were a few items Jennifer had in her possessions that she did not wish to take home with her, things that would serve no purpose when she got there. Some things she was going to miss more than others, like her extremely warm pink fleece blanket or the jumper she had gained by giving a girl in the year below her all of the maths notes she had written during the term. It didn't matter where, how or why she had picked up all her belongings though – she wasn't going to fit five boxes in a cab, and so, with a heavy heart, she had been forced to take a trip down to the charity shop located in the shopping mall, ridding herself of things she no longer required.

The lady behind the till hadn't bothered to hide her confusion as she was handed boxes and bags full to the brim with perfectly good clothes, pillows, blankets, books, along with crockery, pans and a hammock. She utterly lost on quite a few fronts, including, but not limited to why such a young girl had all these things, why she was getting rid of so much, and why she hadn't chosen to sell it all, knowing that it would add up to over a hundred dollars.

The reason Jennifer hadn't sold anything was due to the hassle of it all, as well the fact that by going to a charity shop it could go towards helping other people – both those who benefited from the charity and those in the same boat as her (maybe not the same boat, but a similar one, slightly smaller in size with less leg room, but a boat in trouble none the less).

With a pout and slumped shoulders Jennifer exited the tiny shop, immediately pulled into a sideways hug by Peter who seemed to be aware of the strain of parting with the things she had collected, perhaps because he was worried he wouldn't be able to let go of her when she decided to leave. In all honesty, Jennifer wasn't sure if she'd even be able to walk herself out of the door when that day came, but she would do it nonetheless.