cant take my eyes off of you // g.w.

summary / george weasley regularly attends a coffee shop in muggle london to have some peace and quiet after the tragedies of the war. he finds himself running into a beautiful girl and can't get her out of his head. muggle!reader & coffee shop!au

word count / 5.1k

warnings / food, alludes to sex if you squint.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The cool breeze brushed into the coffee shop as George opened the door, the ring of a bell chimed over his head as he entered, signifying the barista behind the counter that there was a new customer to serve. She smiled politely at him, taking her place at the front to take his order. George grinned back, dusting his boots off on the doormat below him.

He inhaled the scent of coffee beans and pastries and instantly felt comfortable. Glancing around, he took in the familiar atmosphere he'd grown to love over the past few months.

Main Street Cafe.

It was a cute coffee shop in muggle London. After the tragedies of the war, George found a place amongst the muggles to calm his mind. It was quiet and cosy, with lots of nooks and crannies to escape to with a hot latte and a good book. Being in a place where George didn't have to watch his back for a hex or spell being thrown his way was quite therapeutic. He had grown to love the scenery there, tinted windows that looked out onto the rainy streets, watching people pass by under their umbrellas.

George often spent nights there after closing the shop with Fred, escaping for a moment of peace after a hectic day of laughter and loud noises at the joke shop, or on Sunday mornings when he awoke alone in his flat.

There were a few regulars in the cafe, George now being one of them, Rodney, a man in his 50s that entered as soon as the barista flipped the open sign around and took a seat with his black coffee to read the paper, Cindy, a woman in her thirties always speaking into her earpiece, grabbing a latte to go before heading off to her job a few blocks down, and Jamie, an autistic man in his 20s who often asked George to join him in a game of chess.

George approached the counter, tugging his wallet out of his back pocket and smiling politely. Behind the counter, the barista Roxanne, or Roxy as she asked to be called, raised her brows at George as he stood before her.

"Americano, please." George spoke up, pursing his lips.

Roxy grinned, "The usual?"

George chuckled, absentmindedly fiddling with the leather of his wallet between the pads of his fingers.

"Suppose I have become a bit of a regular, haven't I?" He sheepishly grinned, realizing how prominent the cafe had become in his daily life.

Roxy just laughed, purple curls adorned her head, falling softly just below her ears. A septum piercing and a dagger tattoo on her collar weren't enough to convince passersby that she wasn't an absolute sweetheart, always greeting her customers with a warm smile. She turned to the counter behind her, George listened to the hum of the machine as she made his coffee. She waltzed around the machinery, completely in her element she could have done it with her eyes closed. At last she turned to George and slid the coffee cup to him, before ringing him up on the register.

George thanked Roxy and grabbed his coffee, exhaling a soft breath as the cup warmed his palms. He took a seat by the window, sitting alone at a small round table for two. From his pocket, he pulled out a small sketchpad and a pen, and began to scribble ideas and drawings of new shop products. It was his favorite thing to do, and he was grateful it was also something he got paid for. Focusing his attention on the drawing allowed him to take attention away from his mind, from harmful memories or intrusive thoughts.