Sunflower, vol. 6 // f.w.

summary / fred weasley is hopelessly in love with his best friend and stays behind from a Hogsmeade trip to prove it to her.

word count / 2.7k

warnings / food, a playful slap to the thigh.

------------------------ 

Fred Weasley leaned against the stonewall of the castle as he waited, right across from the transfiguration classroom. It was a Saturday, he had plans to attend Hogsmeade with George and their mates, Lee, Angelina, Alicia, and Y/N. He waited patiently, as Y/N finished her make-up test after skipping class one day as she laid sick in her dorm bed.

Fred had been worried, bombarding her with soup and potions from Madam Pompfrey, despite the infinite protests from Y/N telling him it was just a cold. He was by her side the entire day. After her recovery he was quick to drag her along in their normal festivities, today's being Hogsmeade.

As he spotted Y/N exiting the classroom, his eyes lit up. He smiled as she approached him, feeling the excitement bubble up in his stomach. His head was spinning at the thought of getting to spend the entire day with her. But as she reached him, he noticed the way her smile didn't quite reach her eyes, and before Fred could ask her what was wrong, she wrapped herself in his arms and buried her face in his chest.

She exhaled softly, feeling tears pooling in her eyes as she finally released the stress that had built up. Being in Fred's arms, inhaling his scent and feeling his hold around her had her sinking into him. She felt bad, barely giving him a warning before she curled into him, but judging by how quickly his arms reached out to wrap around her, he didn't seem to mind.

Fred sighed as he felt the wetness of tears falling from her eyes and onto his skin. His heart broke and he held her tightly, resting his chin on her head as she cried quietly into his chest. A few passerby students furrowed their brows as they walked by, but Fred was quick to shoo them off.

He held her tightly in his arms, rubbing her back to calm her down. She snuggled in closer to him, her arms around his middle and clasping her hands together around his back. As much as it hurt to see her so upset in his arms, it made his heart swell to hold her so closely. That was a trap Fred fell into months ago, falling for his best friend so easily that it happened right under his nose.

"I'm sorry, Freddie." She sniffled as she pulled back to look at him.

"Hey," He cupped her face, "No need to apologize, darling, I just wanna make sure you're alright. What happened?"

Y/N huffed, "Well for starters, I think I failed that bloody test. I was up all night studying and barely got any rest, and to top things off I got a letter from my Mum this morning saying that she'll be away during holiday."

Fred bit his lower lip as he watched her, her eyes that were normally filled with glee and mischief were clouded with stress and pain. He wished he could take it away, more than anything. He sat there in silence for a moment, knowing that was probably what she needed most. He kept his arm around her waist, keeping a tight hold in case she needed him again.

"Well," Fred exhaled softly, "'M sure Mcgonagall will let you retake the test if you need to. And plus, you know you're always welcome to spend holiday with us."

She nodded against his chest, quietly mumbling a 'thank you' before she let her eyes flutter closed momentarily. She felt the tension release, just slightly, just by being in Fred's presence. He was her rock, her safe space, somewhere she always returned to. When she was in trouble he was always the first person she wanted to call.

As she let her tears dry and breathed deeply to let no more fall, she wiped her eyes and stood up straightly, looking up at Fred with as much courage as she could muster up.