Chapter 14: The Trial, Part 3

I barely even thought about what had happened before I reacted. In one swift movement, mid-step, I slammed my foot against his knee, flattening the rest of my body as much as I could without falling. As soon as my foot contacted, I spun and grabbed his wrist, aiming the firearm away from me a fraction of a second before it fired, bullet hitting the ceiling above us. One hand still on his wrist, I pulled him up, punching his nose so hard I felt it crack. Then I dropped him, panting, to look down at the face of Daniel Frost.

I heard shouting around me, felt the blood dripping off my hand, but I couldn't even register what had happened before I felt someone's hand on my shoulder and spun around, expecting another attacker. Instead, I saw Spencer's worried face, his hand already around my wrist to look at my injury.

"Spence," I muttered. "It's his blood. How did he get here? I'm fine, it's his blood."

"You probably bruised your fingers, and there's blood all over your hand. Let me clean it for you," he answered, uncaring about the blood as he made sure I was alright. "I don't know how he escaped custody."

I hadn't had any head injuries, but I suddenly felt faint and stumbled to the nearest chair, elbows resting on my knees, clawing at the tie around my neck. It loosened and I immediately undid the top button of my shirt, uncaring about the stain my bloodied hand would leave.

***

We were released to go home, as the jury had been released to deliberate considering the chaos of the day and the fear of Frost appearing in the courtroom. I had cleaned off my hand and changed clothes but was still shaking as we arrived at home. Spencer let me lean on him as we walked towards the door, doing everything he could to help comfort me. He helped me to bed, wrapping me in a blanket and curling around me. I couldn't even bring myself to say anything, just took shaky breaths and tried to sleep.

I was in the courthouse again, going to get coffee. I heard the click and Frost's voice behind me, but this time, I didn't react. I was frozen in place as he walked me back to the courtroom, his other hand on the back of my neck. We walked into the courtroom and there was Spencer, and I didn't have time to cry out to him before I felt the bullet enter. It lodged in my spine, and I fell, the world going back. I heard Spencer's scream, another gunshot, and his scream cut off.

I woke up screaming. Spencer had clearly been trying to calm me down, moving away when he saw my eyes open. I panted, trying to regain my breath, my throat sore.

"What happened?" Spencer asked.

"Daniel- the courthouse- the gun-" I couldn't get the words out properly. "He shot me and he killed you and I didn't stop him."

"That didn't really happen, it's okay," He reached forward, hand brushing my arm lightly. "Frost didn't shoot either of us, you disarmed him and we're safe."

I couldn't help it. I started crying, grasping desperately at Spencer's shirt, needing him to be close. He rocked me, one hand on the back of my head and the other around my waist, keeping me close, letting me cry.

"How did he escape?" I whispered. "How could he do that?"

Spencer kissed my head, "I don't know, but they're working to figure it out. We're safe now, I'm protecting you."

I nodded and curled up against his chest, breathing still shaky.

I couldn't sleep well for the rest of the night, dipping in and out of consciousness, the slightest noise waking me up. Spencer leaned against the headboard and fell asleep, arms still wrapped around me. It was only when the sunlight began to shine past our dark curtains that I slowly got out of bed, unsure how I would face the day ahead of me.