Chapter 3: Healing

I forced myself to shower, scrubbing my skin, trying desperately to feel clean. I got out, toweled off, buttoned up my shirt, and pulled on a skirt, clasping it, smoothing my clothes out as I looked in the mirror. My eyes were puffy with tears, but I applied enough makeup that it was only noticeable if you looked closely. I pulled my hair back, tying it up tightly. I picked up the necklace I'd chosen; the chain necklace that I'd worn at Hotch's holiday party. I clasped it, took one more deep breath, and looked myself in the eyes.

"You're going to be strong for Spencer." I told myself. "You can do this."

I walked out of the bedroom and to the living room, where Jenna and Elle were taking care of the twins. I smiled as they rushed up to me, kissing them both.

"Hey, you two!" I smiled. "Are you aunts taking good care of you?"

"We want to go see Dad!" Maeve answered. "They're nice, but where's Dad?"

"Dad got hurt on a case, he's not feeling good, but if you're nice and calm, we can go see him." I told them. "Do you think you can do that?"

"We can!" Tobias confirmed.

"Okay, let's go then."

***

"Remember, Dad's not feeling good, so we're going to be quiet, okay?" I asked the twins as we stood outside the hospital room.

Maeve nodded. "Shhhh!"

"Shhh!" Tobias repeated.

"Exactly." I smiled and opened the door.

Spencer was sitting up, surrounded by machines and monitors, but awake. He broke into a smile as soon as he saw the kids. "Hey, you two!"

"Dad!" They both said in hushed, excited voices. They rushed forward, trying to climb onto the bed to hug him.

"Why are you in a dress?" Tobias asked.

Spencer laughed; the sound was bright, calming. "It's just what they make you wear if you're hurt here, bud. I'll be able to change out of it when I go home."

"It's not a pretty dress." Maeve added. "Mommy's are prettier."

"Your mom's dresses are definitely prettier." Spencer agreed. "Have you been taking good care of her while I was working!"

"We always do!" Tobias bounced happily.

"That's my good little man." Spencer ruffled his hair. "Now, can I talk to your mom alone for a second?"

"Aunt Pen is outside; we can wait with her." Maeve nodded solemnly.

"Sounds great, go play with Penelope, okay?"

They nodded and I helped them out of the room, where Penelope was waiting. I closed the door and pulled a seat next to Spencer's bed, kissing him gently.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Well, if I move my arms too much or take a deep breath, the cuts hurt, and I can't have any painkillers, so not great." He answered. "But pretty well, considering."

"What did he say to you?"

"I don't remember a lot of it, he was mostly just yelling about how awful you were and how much he hates you. He only did this to me to hurt you, I knew that. The worst part was having to write the note."

My heart broke again thinking about the note.

"He told me exactly what to write..." Spencer whispered, hands shaking. "He wanted me to be found. I barely managed to write the hidden note, and I couldn't risk telling you anything."