Chapter 29: The Eye of the Storm

Deanna had a long weekend over Halloween, and she chose to return home and stay with us. The kids were delighted to have her home and screamed with joy when she agreed to take them shopping for costumes.

"What are you two going to be?" Deanna asked as the kids ran around. "Any ideas?"

I shrugged.

"I was hoping you'd agree for us to dress up and the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler," Spencer said.

"Absolutely not." Deanna said immediately. "You need to be Amy and Rory so I can be River."

Spencer sat up with excitement. "How did I not think of that? You're absolutely right!"

I leaned back and watched them discuss costumes. I could only half-follow what they were saying, but it didn't matter; they were happy, and that's what I cared about.

Maeve and Tobias ran up to me, "Mama, we made something for you!"

"Well, do I get to see it?"

"You have to follow us," Tobias told me, taking my hand and leading me to their room.

There was a large piece of paper spread out on the floor that they'd been drawing on (and, guessing from the way it was crumpled, running on). On the paper was drawn two tall figures (Spencer and myself, presumably), a figure slightly shorter than us (sporting Deanna's bright blue hair) and two small figures dressed in what I could only assume were their new costumes.

I could tell which parts were drawn by Maeve; she had developed a skill for realistic drawing quickly, to the amazement of her teachers. She'd delegated Tobias to drawing the clothes, much to my amusement.

"It's beautiful, darlings," I hugged them both close. "I think I'm going to get it framed and hung on the wall."

"Really, mama?" Maeve asked. "Is it that good?"

I nodded. "It's perfect, just like you."

***

The FBI offices had a family Halloween event on Friday, so we took our entire family in their costumes.

I was in a leather jacket, jeans, and with newly (temporarily) dyed bright red hair. Spencer wore a white shirt, red bowtie, and brown suit jacket and slacks (with a show-accurate sonic screwdriver, of course). Deanna got a curly blond wig and wore a brown tunic; she'd elected to go without the fake weapon, to avoid any issues at the office.

Maeve wore a Rapunzel costume, complete with a long blond braid wig and short blue heels. Tobias had opted for a Wonder Woman costume, though he'd swapped the skirt out for gold leggings.

The BAU had opted to decorate each desk (not elaborately) and let kids go to each one for a piece of candy. I sat with Spencer at his desk as Deanna led the kids around, both in the BAU office and others that were participating.

"You should recruit everyone that works on the simulations and do a haunted house," Spencer teased.

I snorted. "We want to avoid the horrors we see every day, not dramatize them."

"Spoilsport."

***

We watched Hocus Pocus after going trick-or-treating. Spencer cuddled with the kids, while Deanna and I shared a huge bowl of popcorn. Maeve and Tobias fell asleep on Spencer's chest; Deanna was half-asleep on my shoulder by the time the credits rolled.

"Alright, all of you, to bed," I helped Deanna up as Spencer carried the kids to their room.

"Hey, Mom?" Deanna murmured as I tucked her into bed.