馬鹿 | idiot

~仕始める~

The kanji of 'idiot' or 'moron' is made of two characters: horse and stag. That's because of the legend, where someone claimed a common horse had the same amount of value as a stag. They were an idiot to believe such nonsense.

In the tense moment between Yushiro and I, I felt like a bigger idiot than that person in that story.

"Sorry?" Yushiro muttered in disbelief, as if he's been betrayed by me, "I see how it is. That's ok."

He shifted his head again so our eye contact ended up breaking, I hurt him.

I made him feel insecure.

I scooted myself over to where he was sitting in the painting room and wrapped my arms around his back, burying my face into the crook of his neck.

"I don't know what I'm doing wrong," He mumbled to himself, as if ignoring me entirely.

Then, he turned himself toward me and returned my embrace, and we bathed in each other's warmth.

He began to talk with his face still buried into my shoulder, "Did you really mean it? When you said that you'd rather stay with me than anyone else?"

"Yes."

His body seemed to sink more into me, Yushiro had gone limp.

"That makes me feel better, I'm sorry if I'm too hard on you sometimes."

Hearing Yushiro apologize to me was a weird and unnatural feeling, not that I doubted he could ever apologize. I've just never heard the words 'I'm sorry,' ever come out of his mouth. I hummed to let him know I was acknowledging his apology. Our embrace broke and his cheeks were flushed red, he walked out of the room and left me sitting on the floor alone. Not that I minded, seeing him embarrassed like that was cute. I couldn't help but laugh a little.

~休憇~

The night was calm, a light drizzle signalled that the rainy season was coming to an end. I was grateful that the heavy rain hadn't ruined the home Yushiro and I stayed in. The house was old, and I didn't like living in something on the verge of collapse. Call it a woman's instinct, but I wanted to move into the mountains, similar to how Tanjiro was living right now. I kept the idea to myself, since I knew Yushiro enjoyed living in the cities because everything was closer and more convenient for us, but I at least didn't want to live in a home that would shake in the wind. I layed on my back on the engawa while making quiet popping sounds with my lips, it was no surprise I was bored out of my mind.

Yushiro had gone and gotten more blood samples for himself, I would have to make a kill soon. In situations similar to these, I'd just eat other demons. They tasted like shit, but they kept the hunger at bay, but I can't do that anymore. I guess I could run by the jailhouse and eat one of the criminals there, or I could go to a local hospital and eat one of the sick folks. A soft mewl of Chachamaru had interrupted my thoughts. It seems they've brought me a little gift. In their mouth was a large brown rat, dead.