塗る | paint

~仕始める~

~仕始める~

"We regret to inform our citizens and our many soldiers across the Japanese sea that Japan has finally dropped out of the war. After the bombing behind Hiroshima and Nagasaki, over hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed by the bomb. With a risk so large, Japan is finally out of the war. Stay safe to the hardworking people on the ground, thank you for all your hard work."

It had been months since the bombing. The man on the radio's voice was monotone, everybody was broadcasting this as a national announcement.

Yushiro piped up, "So... We lost the war?" his gaze shifted towards you.

Both of you sat with our legs crossed inside the dark room facing the low table the radio sat on.You nodded your, a burden seemed to lift off your shoulders almost. Finally no more air raid alarms, you and Yushiro no longer need to live our lives paranoid that we're going to get blown up.

"I think it's for the best..." you had started, "If the killing continued, with the new weapons half of the world could be completely wiped out. All of the surviving humans are going to die from cancer eventually, the radiation literally melted my skin..." recalling the memories made your heart race unconsciously.

Yushiro had acted upon your sudden discomfort, rubbing your back softly. You tried to focus your thoughts on the cat sleeping soundly in your lap, hands beginning to shake unconsciously. The boy next to you noticed and immediately began to panic, it was written all over his face. You finally took a deep breath and shakily exhaled.

You sighed, "This sucks, I never had these reactions when I was ripped limb from limb by Kibitsuji... Maybe I'm more human than I thought."

"And there's nothing wrong with that," Yushiro started, "Not to mention this weapon was something entirely new, an entirely different kind of sensation and experience, that by itself is a little frightening."

You didn't know what to say back to him, you leaned your body on to his shoulder. It's over, the war is finally over, no more rationing and fighting in the streets. A weight was lifted off your shoulders, you were finally allowed to continue our lives in peace.

~休憇~

War cleanup was hard, in fact- it's the most troublesome thing you've had to deal with for a long time. In celebration of the war ending, the military had given all citizens inside Japan's cities a free meal. According to our neighboring housewives it was the worst stuff they've ever put inside their mouths, even the chocolate they gave the children was shitty. It was military food so you weren't sure what they were expecting to begin with.

Japanese sailors were marching down Saitama's streets, passing through Nagasaki to help with cleanup. You remembered making eye contact with one of the military ambassadors as they passed through that night.