正気 | sanity

~仕始める~

~仕始める~

I've never personally been inside an insane asylum, and I'm not talking about one of those mental institutes. I'm talking about the people who've lost all hope for regaining their sanity in any way shape or form. I feel as if I'm in a similar situation, but about to be surrounded by insane people.

"She'll eat the baby, don't let her in, dumbass!" that same squealing voice, I could just about hear the chills climbing up and down his back.

Zenitsu Agatsuma.

The only interaction I've ever had with him was right after Tanjiro was admitted to the butterfly estate. Right after Kibitsuji was eradicated. Zenitsu would come and rant to Tanjiro's unconscious figure in the bed with Nezuko at his side. He seemed really nice to people he was close with, but his constant squealing was annoying.

"Don't say that! It's so mean!" there was Tanjiro's voice.

The sound of my knuckle on the wood made all screaming and movement stop, everyone was frozen. Tanjiro could smell the reek of death as it radiated off of me. I'm sure of it.

A few seconds of still movement... then shuffling and more quiet whining.

Then the slamming of the shoji door opening.

"(Y/N)! Welcome, thank you for coming. The journey can be troubling especially during these times. Thank you." The burgundy boy bowed to me as he stood in the doorway.

Shaking and crying, Zenitsu was at the end of the small entryway with a black haori with white triangle patterns. When our eyes met, the gaze we both held was impossible to break. A shriek interrupted it, but it wasn't from Zenitsu.

Oh yeah, the baby.

I don't have anything against children, I just don't like babies. They can't do anything on their own, and they're messy and smell bad. I can handle anyone as long as they're older than four years old.

However, a life is a life.

"You probably want to get out of here as soon as possible, I'll introduce you to her now."

Tanjiro guided me through the halls of his small little house. If I could even call it that. Sitting in a cream colored futon sat Kanao. The room around the three of us held the sour stench of breastmilk and the lingering smell of blood. The scent wasn't overwhelming, but it made me want to gag nonetheless. Tanjiro and I sat around Kanao's futon while a certain blonde's eyes bore on to the three of us. Kanao had shifted the bundle of blankets in her arms, allowing me to finally get a good look at it.

The child was small, not even the size of my forearm without the swaddle. Her eyes were wide, holding a deep violet. Reminding me of a certain girl who sported a butterfly clip and a harmless smile. The thin strands of hair she had on her tiny head were a dark color.