Forbidden Forest {chapter 28}

Forbidden Forest!!

Nova sat here again in the library with Cedric. They were studying the black lake. Nova didn't know why but she didn't care she didn't want to be alone. And being with Cedric was more relaxing for her than being lost in her own thoughts.

Nova got tired of sitting up about an hour into studying so she decided to lay down on the couch her and Cedric were sitting on. Her head was in Cedric's lap and her feet were slightly bent on the rest of the couch. Cedric had a book in one of his hands and the other arm was draped on the back of the couch.

She was holding up a book over her face. The book was about mer-people in the black lake. She sighed dramatically taking the book from in front of her face and setting it down on the couch. She crossed her arms over her chest and just stared at Cedric.

"Would you like to take a picture?" Cedric pulled up one of his eyebrows with a smile at Nova's not so subtle staring. He didn't take his eyes off his book though.

"No, I would like to know why I am spending my night in the library" Nova stuck her tongue out at Cedric for his dumb joke.

"Because you could use some extra knowledge with the amount of class you skip" Cedric finally moved his eyes for a second to look down at Nova with a knowing look.

"How do you know I skip class?" Nova narrowed her eyes at Cedric.

"I saw you taking a nap in my dorm the other day" Cedric moved his eyes back to the page of his book with a huge smile on his face.

"Psh that wasn't me" Nova's voice sounded like she was telling the truth but in reality, she had a look of 'she had just been caught' all over her face.

Nova had been sleeping mostly in Cedric's dorm for a few nights a week. The nights she wouldn't feel bad about taking up his space she would sneak in. He always said it was okay but she still felt bad. But she had nowhere else to go at the moment. Ember and her were still not talking and the tension was too much for Nova to even get a wink of sleep in her own dorm room.

"Really it wasn't you" Cedric narrowed his eyes back down at her.

Nova looked down uncrossing her arms and spinning the ring that Fred had given her on her finger. She hadn't taken it off since the night he gave it to her. Cedric's eye caught the ring and he quickly turned the conversation around.

"When did you get that?" Cedric was looking at the ring curiously.

Nova glanced up at him before looking back at her ring "Fred gave it to me the night of the Yule Ball."

"Fred?" Cedric's eyes snapped down to Nova's face to see a sad little frown on her lips as she twirled the ring. His own smile slipped from his face seeing her.

"Fred" Nova whispered. Flashes of the Yule Ball and Fred were in the front of her mind. But then the next thing to come into view was Ace. And her frown deepened.

"Hey, Ced?" Nova looked up to immediately catch eyes with Cedric since he was already looking at her.

"Yes, beautiful" Cedric shifted his eyes to Nova's long hair that was draped on his lap. He absentmindedly played with it.

"Have you talked to Ace?" Cedric couldn't quite tell the emotion behind Nova's voice so he was treading with caution carefully thinking of his answer.

"Yes, I have. Why do you ask love?" Cedric stopped staring at the motion of his hand playing with her hair to look back into Nova's brown eyes.

"I don't know, I just-" Nova glanced away from Cedric's questioning gaze. "Nevermind."