Broken Pieces {chapter 34}

Broken Pieces!?!

Nova was anxious Cedric should've been back by now. Fred kept worryingly glancing at Nova to see she had fear and anxiety written all over her face. Then the flash of light came.

Two bodies landed in a heap on the ground. Nova moved quickly to stand at the railing of the stands to get a good look if it was Cedric or Harry. Praying to Merlin it was Cedric back in one piece.

Then she saw him. She didn't believe it. She couldn't believe it. But she was seeing him right there on the ground. Could see the lifeless eyes just staring at the sky. Couldn't see a twitch of his body just still as water before a storm. There was nothing. He was nothing.

He wasn't the bright and carefree Hufflepuff she met on the train. The boy who protected her from anything and everything that he possibly could. He wasn't there anymore. His body laid there in front of her eyes but his soul was gone.

The air caught in her throat. She couldn't release it. It was like her own body was trying to rid her of the agonizing pain that shot straight to her heart and now resided there as it's new home.

Fred didn't react at first but once he did he grabbed Nova and pulled her into him turning his body to block the view of Cedric. The view of her best friend lying there never to get up again.

Fred couldn't feel any breaths fall from Nova's lips. He felt no tears fall from her eyes. He held her but there was no lift on her shoulders as there would be if she was intaking and exhaling breaths. And he finally realized she wasn't breathing.

"Nova breathe please you have to breathe" Fred begged holding her to him still as her hands laid on either side of his torso but they didn't seem responsive at all.

Nova could faintly hear Fred's plea but she couldn't breathe. She didn't want to. She knew the second that breath intake the sharp pain of the knife in her heart would move and tear it apart. The pain would start again and she didn't want to feel it.

"Please Nova. Please just breathe" Fred grabbed a side of her face looking down into her eyes. But they seemed as lifeless as Cedric's. There was nothing behind them and he was searching trying to find a scrap of her in there but he couldn't.

Finally, Nova let the breath that stuck in her throat out but it was a long shuddering breath. And finally, the dam broke and the tears slide down her face seemingly endless. Fred sighed with relief as he pulled her back to him.

Nova buried her face in Fred's chest as the tears flowed and her breaths came out in labored ones. The sword of pain she stopped for a moment by not breathing finally came striking down into her heart. And the pain was just as physically destroying her as it was mentally.

"No no no" Nova repeated over and over in Fred's chest.

"Shh," Fred pulled his lips together trying to compose himself and help Nova. Trying to soothe her as best he could.

"He can't- He promised- He promised-" Nova choked out. She felt like she was in denial. But everything was definitely and completely real. The pain she was feeling in her heart was real. And she didn't know if she could ever be rid of it.

Ace held Ember who couldn't control her own sobs that fell from her lips. Ace and Ember were faced away from Cedric's body not bearing seeing their best friend lay there either. Ace had tears of his own sliding down his face. But the shock was the worst for him he couldn't believe that Cedric was actually gone.

The teachers ushered people out of the stands and told them all to return to the castle and no detours. A lot of the Hogwarts students obeyed and steadily walked back towards the castle. Nova didn't need to be told twice. She couldn't stay there and see Cedric anymore it was haunting her mind.