28: C O N S E Q U E N C E S

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - E I G H T

A rush of air crept through my mouth. There were panicking voices all around me. I start to adjust to the light source. Suddenly, I cough up the remaining of water that was in me. The feeling was horrible, it felt like it was burning me inside.

My hands reached to my chest when I see there was a crowd around me. Next to me stood Owen and Victor. They were both looking at me with curious eyes. There were people I didn't know who was staring too.

And I didn't like that.

I start to feel my clothes clinging onto my skin, I hated the feeling. This isn't the outcome I wanted, I wanted to be with her. Anger was coursing through me, and I can feel the tears spill out.

"You're now safe," I heard Owen whisper, his hand squeezing my shoulder.

"Tha-" I felt the crushing pain in my throat.

Victor was now leaning close to me, "Do you know what happened?"

I put a hand on my cheek, wiping the tears off rapidly. "Of course! Some person was trying to kill me." It was hurting me to even speak, but I managed.

People were now starting to leave, there wasn't a show to be put up. They were both looking at me, waiting for me to do something. Without much thought, I pick myself up. Both of their hands stood alongside me. I didn't wobble or felt like my feet were going to fail.

"I suggest you shouldn't go to school," Owen states as he looks me up and down.

I shake my head, "Nope, I can't. I have to go out there and pretend like nothing happened."

Victor rolls his eyes, "You don't have to prove a thing."

"In plus, what I saw wasn't pleasant," Owen mentions, putting a hand on my shoulder.

My head snap towards him, "What do you mean? Did you saw who did this to me," I question him, curiosity hitting every nerve of me.

This could be the moment on whether this was connected to Esther death or just out of hate. But the fact that Owen was the one who saw this, made me question why was he there?

"Well, I was passing by, Victor and I were talking. We both notice a dark figure near the pool edge. When we got close," he takes a pause, putting suspense. "We notice their hand pushing something down. I call out to them, and they ran away. When we got close, we saw you in the water."

I look down at my body, seeing that my clothes were still wet. Did that mean thy didn't get to see a face? That didn't answer my question on whether it was related to Esther or not.

"But how come none of you guys are wet," I asked them.

Now feeling anxious about what I might make up in my head. Was it possible they were both involved? Were they trying to hide their tracks. They were only there to rescue me.

"We both took off our blazer, rolled up our sleeves and we manage to get you up," Victor claims, with a soft voice. It was somewhat soothe my paranoia, but I still felt icky.

It was just the two of us in this room. I decided to make my way outside to the hall. There was group of people passing by. They wouldn't know what happen. Pretend like nothing happened! I kept on walking, putting a smile on my face. Cringing at the squeaky sound that my flats made when in contact with the floor.