37: M O T I O N L E S S

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y - SEVEN

"I would like to see Vivian, please," I said to the lady who opened the door of their house.

She had a scowl on her face, "Irene, Mr. and Mrs. Reyes are forbidding her from receiving any guests." She says harshly, but before she can close the door on my face, someone has spoken out to her.

"Mrs. Floras," he said before he had exchanged some words with her in Spanish. The lady still had a scowl but left us alone.

I noticed the look of Victor's, he looked ashamed, frightened. It has been three days since that happened. I haven't seen both of them at school. Not only that, but the Dance Masque was near, there were two more days until it was here.

I'm not sure if people were willing to go. Everyone has heard the news about Vivian, now they're figuring out why she's done it. She hasn't spoken to anyone, not even her family. Though that's what I was hearing.

"My parents aren't here, they're looking for someone who will help," his voice starts to strain. "For Vivian." He manages to say, guiding me through their now quiet home.

We stopped, standing near the stairs. My mind has been running around. I felt like all this was because of me. I wanted to do something, to stop all of this. But how can I stop it? Was I doing this for my own sake or the people I care about?

I place a hand on him, "I'm sorry."

He shrugs his shoulders, "There's no need to be sorry, it wasn't your problem to save."

We stood in silence and I could hear the soft sound of Mrs. Floras humming. The house was so dark that I could partially see Victor. I wanted to say something or at least move around. I felt stuck staring at those eyes that were pulling me to an endless deep ink sea. Why did I feel like there was nothing for me to say. That all this was just an illusion.

"How school," he manages to say.

I look down the floor, giving a small shrug. "It's the usual, feels a little lonely without Vivian or you." I say as I watch him nod his head, but I couldn't keep myself from staying quiet.

"Are you going to the Dance Masque," I question him, leaning myself against the rail of the stairs.

He had a blank look on his face, "I'm not sure if I feel like going."

I stood there stun, what did I expect I was going to get from this? He was feeling sad about his sister. Some other day we can dance together at some part of the woods with the twinkling stars, but not anytime soon. "I'm sure you won't miss anything new," I say as I pick onto my cuticle.

Out of nowhere his arms embraced me into a tight hug. I felt myself loosen up, wrapping myself around him. He lets out a sigh, his chin resting on top of my head.

"Don't be sad, Irene," he mumbles under his breath. "Someday we can dance together and I will spin you around until your arms are back to me."

I lay my head on the crook of his neck, "I wish that were true." Suddenly, remembering what Mr. Harrington said that felt so long ago.

Victor pulls himself back, a brow raising. "What is that supposed to mean?"

I wasn't hundred percent sure, but I needed to say what I think might be true. "I remember listening to Mr. Harrington's conversation with aunt Celeste. He says if this case doesn't get any better...he is going to send me away to England."

It felt like a ghost had passed through us, ripping us apart, sending our bodies to shiver from the coldness. He runs a hand down his face, but when he let's go, his face looks hurt. "I can't have you leave, I almost lost my sister—I can't lose someone I love again."