34: G I G G L I N G G I R L

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y - F O U R

There was an unusual feeling erupting in my stomach. I feel it cramp that I needed to clutch onto my stomach. The pain felt unbearable like there were a million stabs going at my abdomen. I close my eyes, trying to forget about the pain I was feeling. It was that time of the month. I've must have forgotten all about it.

"What's wrong," I hear Victor whisper to me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," I assure him as I put my focus back on my art teacher. She was speaking about the importance of renaissance paintings.

I was afraid to get up and wearing this skirt wasn't making me feel assured. I take off my blazer slowly, not trying to get Victor's attention. Should I be embarrassed by all this? I was scared to tell him, I never really had a committed boyfriend.  I don't think I can handle the weird look I might receive from him or the disgusted look. I've seen the hateful ones he uses to give. So was I prepared to be greeted by that again?

"Ms. Clare, I don't think Irene is feeling well." He states as he stands behind me. "I'm going to take to her the nurse."

Before our art teacher can answer, we were out of the room, making our way to my locker. When I get there, I notice that I didn't have any of the stuff I needed. I curse under my breath as I bang my head on the dark blue lockers. How can I forget an important necessity?

Wait, I have my track bag.

I quickly reach in for the big sports bag, placing it on my shoulder. "Thank you for helping me, I didn't expect you to react that way," I tell him truthfully as I make my way to a nearby bathroom.

When I move my head sideways, I see he had a smile on, "You're welcome, but you shouldn't feel embarrassed by that. It's a normal thing that you shouldn't have to hide."

That's when we made it to a stop. I give him a small smile, feeling more at ease by what he has said. When I make my way into a stall, I open up my bag. I shuffle through my stuff, noticing the small bag I keep all my stuff in.

I begin to change my clothes and quickly fix myself. Until I hear the sound of a distant giggle. I felt shivers go up my skin. Was she in here? When I looked down, I see the familiar black flats. The one I saw when I first came to this school. The same girl who hummed that creepy requiem.

The one who claimed that I had disappointed her. How have I disappointed her?

"I know you're there," I croak, needing her to tell me something new about this mess.

She doesn't speak quite yet, only letting out a soft giggle. "I'm always here, Irene, you know that. So we finally speak to each other."

There was something eerie about her voice than from what I remembered.  Her voice was raspy like she had a cold that she was recovering from. It wasn't what I had expected from her. Maybe since I thought she had a soft whispery voice. Instead, they were like feathers falling to the dirty pavement.

"What do you want," she harshly asks.

In all truth, I'm not sure why I was rooted to my spot. I was all done and clean, but something was keeping me here. I knew Victor was probably out there, waiting for me. Yet, I sat back down on the seat, not caring about the cleanness.

"How could I have possibly disappointed you," I question her, bringing back the remark I heard her say.

She was quiet, but I can hear the soft sound of her humming. It sounded sweeter than what her true voice was like. It made her sound like a child than the mature tune she was given.