36: V I G I L

WARNING this chapter contains a sensitive topic. Please keep an open mind about the situation. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, go ahead and skip to the end. The topic is vague, but I still wanted to put up this warning.

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - S I X

I was starting to get accustomed to being alone. I was ready to greet it with open arms. I remember being afraid of loneliness when I never was alone in my life. I've always had my mom around me. Along with normal school friends. This school has done a lot for me, and I didn't know if I should thank it.

I was starting to get ready to head out. It was funny how the weekend was here. My friends passed by me with blank expressions, and I would sit alone thinking about moments before my life changed.

Maybe I deserve the loneliness and the ignoring.

Today, there was an event held by the Elite Sinners. The last time we had made an event was the race. I'm not prepared to see my friends or even Owen. Seeing the look of my cousin falling for him, made me hate myself. I kissed her boyfriend and she doesn't know. After all, as the giggling girl stated, karma will come for me.

Well, I greet them with open arms.

Brielle peeks her head through the door, "Are you ready," she questions me.

I pick myself up from my sitting position, following her down the stairs. When we made it outside, I notice the snow had melted. We get in the car, the silence was there. There wasn't anything for us to say. Will we ever make amends?

Maybe when all this was over, I assured myself. When I was cleared from my name. When she can overlook all the bad things.

I take a look at the window, keeping an eye on our distance. She starts to slow down at the familiar place I've been through. The entrance of that broken tree, the one with the red X mark on it. It has been a long time since I have entered this part of the woods.

Why did we decide to hold the event here?

I wonder where the other cars were at? And why did we take the car when we could've just walked. I shake those thoughts out of my head. It was December, we would've frozen our bodies standing in the cold.

Brielle drives her car further into the woods, was this legal? Yet again, they were probably not going to be questioned. We start to see more cars scattered around the woods, people were everywhere. They were all close by the area I have met up with Esther. All they had to do was walk a little further in.

She had left the car, rushing her way to meet up with a small group. This isn't where I was meant to be. Watching all of them huddled around, having so much to say. I don't want to live a lifestyle like them. How could I live on getting everything I could ever ask for?

There was a light tap on the window, leaving me to startle. When I turn to look at the person, my heart skipped a beat. Why was I feeling like this? When two days ago I had kissed Owen. I knew I still cared about Victor. I watch him as he opens the door, and I rush up to him. Wrapping my arms around his neck, feeling his around my waist.

I was truly a fool to want him.

I lean back, placing a kiss on his lips. He had a smiled that could energize me for the rest of my life. I push back his wavy brown hair, seeing the eyes I have relished.

"I missed you," I whisper, seeing the light of him.

"I missed you too," he replies, placing a kiss on my forehead. "I'm sorry for being a little distant. I needed time to think about what you told me."