15: S E C R E T N O T E

C H A P T E R F I F T E E N

I watch the runners run around the track in synch. There in front stood the leader, guiding them around. I stand behind the fence, curious about the way they run. They didn't go faster than the leader.

Suddenly they stopped, and begin drinking from their bottles. The leader jogs his way towards me, I knew who it was.

"Irene, what are you doing here?" Victor questions me, placing his hands on the fence.

I shake my body, "I think I want to try out for the track team." I tell him honestly.

He raises a brow, "I think or you want to?"

I place a hand on my forehead, "I want to join."

He chuckles, "You think you can handle the track team?"

I nod my head violently, "Yes, I've been running since I was in middle school." 

"Why do you like to run?" He asked me.

"I can ask the same for you," I reply to him with a bright smile.

I watch as he smiles, showing his white pearly teeth. I never made him smile, and for some reason this made my heart explode.

He claps his hand, "I guess you can say.... to run away from my problems." He states, placing a hand on the back of his neck.

"Same for me," I whisper, the wind now blowing hard.

"Come back after school and we will see if you make it in the team." He says, then turns back to his teammates.

I decided to go back to the school building. I used my lunchtime to hang out in the field. I take out the apple that was in my pockets, I decided to wear my school pants today. Many people didn't say much and I started to notice girls were starting to do the same.

I chew on my apple, beginning to make my way to chemistry class. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I turn to see Owen.

"Irene, how are you?" He questions me, walking alongside me.

I shrugged my shoulders, trying to get rid of his grip, "I'm fantastic." I say, stopping in my tracks. I stood along the lockers, to not be in the middle of the crowded hallways.

He follows me, leaning in close to me. I never notice how tall he was, I like to say I was tall enough for a girl. Except here I was, only reaching up to his shoulder.

"That's great, I came here to ask you a favor," he whispers, his face close to mine.

I raise a brow, "And what is that favor?"

"We should throw an event together, soon." He explains, leaning his face close to me now. His Greek nose, touching mine.

"What kind of an event?"

He smiles, showing a deep dimple on his right cheek, "An event where only the two leaders compete with each other."

I scoff at him, "What's up with you on the whole argument about the leadership, that's utterly pointless."