8: L A C R I M O S A

C H A P T E R E I G H T

On the way home, it was silent. Neither of us spoke to each other. Brielle's eyes were focused on the road ahead of us. I looked out the window, watching the trees in their fall color. And the night has arrived.

She slows down as we enter the driveway. She pushes a button that opens the garage door. Slowly drives in then turns off the engine.

None of us moved, we were stuck in our seats. I try budging to leave, but the silence was killing me.

"What happened?" Brielle narrows her eyes, questioning me.

I bit my lip nervously, "I'm not sure."

She scoffs, "How do you not know?"

I hesitated, "We were talking and she starts talking about someone. She was furious about this person."

My cousin didn't believe anything. Her delicate brown eyes burned through mines and it felt like fire. It felt like betrayal was coming towards me...

"You are a liar!" She shouts and gets out of the car before shouting another thing, "That sounds nothing like Esther! You said something, you reeking liar!"

I gulped as I watch my cousin slam the door. I felt embarrassed to walk out of the car. What will the rest think? Was Esther speaking out about what happened?

Finally, I get out of the car and rush to my room. I was happy that no one was in the kitchen or scattering the house. My aunt was probably in her study or room. Brielle was definitely in her room.

When I reached my room, I go to bed. I lay flat and look up the ceiling. It was tiring to cry for nothing. But my mom wasn't anything, she deserves the tears I cried.

The moments like right now, that was filled with a lie. Those don't deserve the tears. I sit up, thinking about the girl humming the eerie tune.

She hums softly, it sounded bitter, but it sounded creepy as she hums loudly.

"Strange tune, you're singing," I mumble to her.

She giggles, "Well I'm only singing the truth. It's how our school is sounding like."

I raised my eyebrows, confused, "What do you mean?"

She giggles once again, but it sounded wicked, "Listen to Lacrimosa by Mozart, you will understand what I mean. It was a mistake for you to come here, Irene."

A chill runs through my spine. I quickly get up from my bed and run to my desk. I open my laptop, beginning to search.

I type down Lacrimosa by Mozart. The first thing the search box showed, was a video of the song. It showed Mozart's face with the background of a music sheet. I clicked on the link and taken me to YouTube.

I hear the slow sound that sounded bitter. There was a voice, singing eerily. It sounded melancholy like something was about to happen. The voice crescendo from their soft sound.

They sang as nothing was affecting them. Yet, it sounded like anguish was coursing through their body. As the song was ending, they were building up to the crescendo. They hold onto that note until everything went silent.

I felt the need of searching for more of this piece. There's got to be a reason why the giggling girl connected it to how the school is going to be like. Or maybe I just overthinking it.