16: J O U R N A L

C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

My spine was rigid, the journal was right in front of me. It was staring at me, her named look like it was grinning. Is this right to do? My hands grasped the note I received from this afternoon, this was wrong. What am I going to get from reading this? Definitely not the killer's name, with their name written in red ink.

They still haven't released the way she died. If I'm being honest, I'm not ready to hear about it.

My hands were shaky as I reach up to the red composition journal. I flip open the cover, the first sheet showcasing words written in black gel pen. I'm actually doing this, my eyes averted to the date.

Aug 19

It's the first day of school and the teacher wants us to write in a journal. Says it will help encapsulate our senior year. That's what phones are for, to be able to capture them in photos and videos. She sure is old fashioned. Hopefully, she doesn't read through them, if I get too deep, its probably because she isn't going to read them. I guess we can start with the basics, my name is Esther Knox. I have a brother named Louis Knox, my dad owns the Knox company which is an oil company, I think.

Anyway, I'm 17 years old, born on June 15 in Stryker, Massachusetts. I have a boyfriend named Owen Mitchell and I love him so much. My group of friends are Brielle Lee, Vivian and Victor Reyes....Except Victor is always in his own little world. Reading books as if they were real worlds, he's getting high off of reading old cut down trees. He's always reading the Great Gatsby. We don't talk to each other like we use to, I miss that Victor. I don't blame him, I would be mad too. Well, writing time is coming to an end, well goodbye weird journal.

That was the end of that entry, and questions were circling my mind. What happened to Victor and Esther's friendship? Why did they stop talking like they use to? And did this involved from December 13th of last year?

I shake my head, flipping through the end of the pages she has written. I needed to see what she wrote before she died. My fingers stop flipping when I notice the last entry, it was November 15, the same day she died.

Nov 15
I'm scared as hell to meet up with Irene. I finally wrote the note, to lure her to the woods, it sounds creepy, but she's creepy. I get nightmares from her, her eyes seemed haunting. She was a poser, the fact that she had to lie to make her way towards the top.

Brielle told me how Irene use to rip up flowers that her mother received from her boyfriends. Not only that but use to throw big tantrums when she didn't get what she wanted. Maybe I should bring someone such as Victor. He hates her as much as I do so it would be perfect. I hate her for what she's done to me. She scared me to the point that I want to leave here. I hate the way she stares at me from across the cafeteria. Those blue eyes hypnotizing me to believe she's innocent, it's like she never wrote those letters to me. She has won, and somebody will bring her down from the group she wants, the Elite Sinners. Hope she's happy about it, that she laughs with those wicked eyes.

I sigh when I got done reading what was in her mind when writing this. It showed what she was feeling hours before meeting with me. I wasn't angry about what she wrote about me, she was paranoid.

Especially from the stories about me as a kid, they were true. I mean what child wouldn't hate their mom's new boyfriend? They were always rude to me and always avoided me. My mom lied to them, saying I was just a niece that she adopted. She always looked young for her age, no one questioned her story about me.

I'm not mad at her, she finally understood what she did wrong. Many people do crazy things for love, because people will do anything for it to stay alive.