1: H O M E

C H A P T E R  O N E

"May God bless, her kind soul, " the priest loudly said but those words were distant to me.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched my mother's casket get lowered down. Deep under the ground, to be nowhere near me. All I wanted to do was run-up and lay next to her cold corpse. What will life be like without her?

I couldn't imagine living without her. Now, she was six feet under the ground while I roamed around, nowhere to be near her.

"Irene," I heard someone softly whispered my name. I didn't need to turn around to see it was my aunt,  Celeste.

She will have to take care of me since there was no other family member I have, besides her. But who wanted to take care of a teenage girl? Where they were grieving from their mother's death.

Of course, my aunt was grieving too. They are—were sisters. And I wasn't the only one who felt saddened.

I felt my aunt's hand on my shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze. "Irene, it's time to go, everyone is leaving."

I rubbed my eyes so I can get rid of the blur behind them. I looked around, seeing the guest leave one by one. The gravedigger was halfway done to burying my mom. I remembered when I drop the thornless rose that now lay on her sealed coffin. It will soon be desiccating and crumbing in to the Earth's ground.

"I don't wanna leave, yet," I softly whispered as I sat down on the cold ground.

The grass was wet from last night's rain and foggy throughout the funeral. Ironic how Mother Nature decided to choose the depressing weather.

Was I being inconsiderate and rude for refusing to leave?

I was, there was going to be a long drive. So, I picked myself up and slowly made my way to my mom's grave. "Goodbye mom, this isn't the last I will see of you. We will soon reunite, I love you." I softly whispered and those tears were spilling once again.

I made my way towards my aunt, seeing her familiar features. Nothing from her physiognomy changed since the last time I saw her. She wore designer glasses that covered her brown eyes. Yet, I can see her streak of tears that ruined her perfectly expensive makeup.

"We can leave," I quietly said, letting her wrap an arm around my shoulder.

She sighed softly. "We are all going to miss her and I promised to take great care of you. You will enjoy Stryker and you will be with Brielle!" She exclaimed but her voice was strained.

Brielle was the only cousin that I know of. I was nervous to see her. We haven't seen each other since we were ten. What if she doesn't like me? Would we be two different personalities?

"Don't stress much about her, she's really happy to finally see you." She answered the thoughts that were pounding my mind.

I was going to miss my home. It was a broken-down apartment on top of a bar. It didn't bother me. The inside of our house was warm and was cleaner than the outside. You could always hear drunken men fighting downstairs, but we ignored it with music.

When we were inside the car; my aunt blasted the heater on. She took off her glasses, now seeing the bloodshot of her eyes. We were both grieving, but we could grieve together.

Aunt Celeste drove out of the graveyard, making her way out. Throughout the scenery it was misty with nothing but acres of trees. Occasionally, my aunt even made me get out of the car to take pictures of each states border. 

It seemed like she was trying to make this small road trip fun, even when we were both hurting. It was okay; I needed to feel something else.

We were finally in Massachusetts, making a stop at a gas station. We were thirty minutes away from town. And every one watched my aunt's car go toward the gas pump. All the men turned to take peek at Celeste.