two

Lunch would usually consist of Quell, Eita and I. However Quell has occupied herself with her significant other thus only Eita and I are left in the class.

We bickered as we connected Quell's and I's table, only the white noise provided by the spinning fan filling the background when our banter receded. To say I was elated was an understatement.

I opened my packed lunch, staring at the contents contentedly.

"Can I have some of that?" He pointed to my grilled octopus in the corner section of my lunch box, eyeing it intensely.

I stared at what he brought. He's only having sweet bread for lunch.

Reluctantly, I fed him two tentacles. The way he opened his mouth reminded me of a baby bird.

"Why are you only eating bread for lunch?" I asked, placing a spoonful of rice into my mouth. I stared at him opening the bread packaging as I chew slowly. "You usually bring takeouts from last night."

"I don't order takeout these days. Band meetings." He bit into his sweet bread, staring at my rice.

I offered him several spoons of my lunch out of sympathy. The way his eyes lit up and a grin he offered was enough.

"Will you be okay? Don't you have volleyball practice after school?" I stared at him as he swallowed his food. He does heavy activities, surely a small serving of bread wouldn't make him last through the day.

"It's just a drill, so I probably won't be as active." He took another bite out of his bread. "Let's get something after. You're going to wait, right?" He asked, curious, even though I have never missed his practice on purpose.

"Yes." I assured him and fed him another spoon of my lunch. He grinned in gratitude. "But you'll pay."

"Deal."

And I kept feeding him until lunch time ends while we talk about various topics. Laughing, teasing and snarky remarks were made at each other. Until an odd topic was brought up.

"There's a new girl in my class." He said, scratching the back of his head. His signature move, the one that made me fell for him.

His cheeks, though it was subtle it was impossible to miss.

I halted. I almost dropped my spoon but I tightened my grip around it to the point my fingers turned white.

What?

He never mentioned girls before. Throughout thirteen years of our friendship, he had never mention another girl. Ever.

"Oh." Was all I said. Was all I was capable of saying.

Slowly, my eyes found courage to look at him. And how I regretted even doing so.

He had a strange expression on his face. An expression I have never seen before as he stared out the window. His eyes soften, and the soft smile on his lips spoke louder than ever.

And I felt it. The itch at the bottom of my lungs. My first symptom.