sixteen

Eita's hand was loosely wrapped around my waist, squeezing occasionally followed by melancholy sobs. I stroke the back of his head gently as I cried with him.

"Did you— did you tell your parents?" He said hurriedly, gasping for air with every word he uttered.

I squeezed my arms around his neck tighter. "No." I sniffed. "I can't tell them."

"You have— have to."

"Not right now." I bit my bottom lip to avoid it from quivering. "Not right now, I can't."

My parents. They don't have a clue that their daughter was slowly dying. Decaying as we speak.

My heart clenched at the thought. For they had lost another daughter to this cruel, cruel disease.

I assumed Eita understood, because he only wrapped his hands around me tighter. I had wrapped the blanket over the both of us. Our shoulder was soaked with each other's tears.

After three hours of crying in each other's embrace, he had pulled away from me slowly. He still held onto my elbows with a tight grip, fearing I might disintegrate with the wind.

I scanned his face. His brown eyes were red, so red and puffy. As well as his cheeks. I patted my sleeve underneath his chin and swiped the pad of my thumb over his tear-stained cheeks, swiping his tears away. His lower lips trembled and my heart constricted at the sight.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner, Mer?" His voice getting lower and lower to mask the sadness in his tone.

"I... I don't know."

Because... my unrequited love was you, Eita.

"You used to tell me everything." He sniffed. His tears was never ending. "Everything, Mer."

I planted my forehead against his again and sealed my eyes shut to drown out the guilt. "I'm sorry, Eita. I'm so sorry." I whispered.

I truly am.

That night after dropping me back home, he had stayed in his car for a long time and played the playlist we had created together in his driveway.

The following week, Eita had been walking me from and back to school. Stopping by stalls and ordered multiple menus; claiming he was starving.

But it was just an excuse. He wanted to spend more time with me.

He also forced me to eat with him in the cafeteria with Briell and I put up with it for the whole week until one day I refused to, claiming I had to spend some time with Tendou.

Everyday while heading towards the cafeteria, Tendou had waited for me by the entrance of the cafeteria to give me a cold beverage. And every time I insisted he join us, he told me he'll eat at the spot we always had lunch at.

Eita was spending more and more time with me everyday and had casted Briell aside. Briell, however was understanding since I had allowed Eita to tell her of my condition so she wouldn't misunderstand.

Because he was scared she'd misunderstand.

It was disappointing, seeming how she was still occupying his mind even after telling him of my condition.