nine

"You have exactly three months to live."

I clenched my fists in my lap, unable to look at my doctor in the eye.

But this was normal to him. He was a doctor specialised in the Hanahaki disease. But he knew me personally from my sister.

"Don't tell my parents." My eyes finally met his. His eyes held no emotions except for the hint of sympathy at the crease of his eyebrows.

How can he help this dying child who refused surgical removal?

"Please." I begged before he could say anything else. "Please, doctor."

He sighed as he leaned back against his seat, staring at my lung scans. Two thick roots were circling my lungs and the bottom was blooming with lavender. I snapped my eyes away from the sight.

"You have to get surgery, Meraki. You won't make it if you don't do it now."

"Give me time, doc." My hands were shaking. I was scared. Nervous.

Sad, more than anything. I feel melancholy.

I left  the hospital in a hurry. The doctor told me to come back again next week to check again. And to supply me with supplements which will suppressed the petals in for roughly around seven hours. Meaning, during school hours.

Walking down the sidewalk, I felt my eyes teared up when I feel the burning sensation at the back of my throat. Deep in my lungs.

I needed to stop to calm it down.

It had been two months since Eita first mentioned Briell to me. And I had officially met her. She was beautiful, kind, thoughtful, dreamy. She was perfect.

And they looked good together. Perfect, like two puzzle pieces.

What's worse was that she kind. So kind to me I couldn't do anything to harm her. She was just lovable by her personality alone.

I coughed by the sidewalk, gripping the rock wall in front of me. I coughed and coughed for so long people kept stopping by to offer me water.

Gratefully, I accepted it before they went on their way. I was still hunched over, clutching my stomach in pain as I chugged down bottles of water.

It had definitely gotten worse this time. The lavender buds had turned into petals, indicating that it had bloomed in my lungs.

It was pooled with blood. Not just splotches or tinges. Actual pools of blood.

Before I bent down to clean it up, an old lady— who was working as a petal cleaner stopped me and insisted I go home to rest as she picked up my mess. I thanked her before groggily walked home.

My mind clouded with thoughts but it soon disappeared when my eyes landed on two familiar figures standing in front of me. Their backs were facing me but I could easily tell who they were.

Eita and Briell were giggling at each other, shoulders brushing against each other with carefree smiles spread across their faces.

Must be nice.

In a split second, Eita turned around so fast I didn't get to get my stare off of him so he had caught me staring at him.

His face spread into a wide grin as he stopped Briell from walking, turning her around too.

Oh god. Must I really face them now? I don't feel well.

At all.

"Meraki!" Eita called out as he swiftly made his was towards me. Briell caught up to him, a soft smile across her soft face. Eyes glistening with happiness as her mossy green eyes bore into mine.

"Hello, Meraki." She greeted me in the most softest voice. So similar to my sister's. Aether's face popped up in my mind before drifting away just as quickly.

"Hey." I whispered.

"Are you okay?" Eita tilted his head slightly, his head turning to the side. "You don't look so good."

Right. My complexion must've look terrible. I kept sweating so I decided to wear a beanie. It wouldn't look questionable since we're in the cusp of October and November. I realised my eye bags were getting darker and my eyes look tired.

"Haha, yea." I said awkwardly and started to cover my neck.

And I had forgotten that this is usually what I'd do when I'm uncomfortable with the situation.

And I had also forgotten that Eita knew.

But what broke me the most was when Eita just stared at me doing it. He didn't comfort me or try to be by my side.

"Okay." He had said before turning his attention to Briell who was still looking at me. She didn't think anything was wrong so she only offered me a smile.

"Well." Eita continued. "Briell and I have plans, so see you next Monday?" He suggested, plastering a small smile across his face.

He wasn't even looking at me. He was still staring at Briell.

Not at me. At her.

At her. At her. At her.

At the one he loves.

I was speechless. My words stuck in my throat, unable to escape. I couldn't even make a sound. So, I stood there silently, tightening my grip around my throat.

"Oh." I said hoarsely, the only words that managed to escape my throat. "Then, I'll—"

"See you." Eita spared me a glance before walking past me, patting my shoulder before walking away with Briell.

I didn't turn around so I just stood there, in the middle of the wide sidewalk. Staring at the broken pathway.

Oh my god.

Hurriedly, I swallowed the pill down. A sense of relief washed over me when the burning sensation drifted away.

And so I went back home with a piece of my heart crumbling.