four

I couldn't focus at all. The sound of my teacher's voice was blurred out, leaving me alone in my thoughts.

Should I tell my parents? No. They would be in despair with the thought of another child of theirs dying. What about Quell?

No. She'd tell my parents and would break down at the sight of me.

Death caused by the disease isn't uncommon. Many people made statements saying they would rather die than to lose the ability to love. And those who removed the petals, became robotic and lives without empathy. Some regretted their decision, some were happy.

Either way, both path doesn't have a happy ending unless you are loved back by the person you love.

Which is sick, really.

Then should I tell Eita?

NO!

I can't. He would force himself to love me, despite being unhappy. Even though he's all talk, saying people should get it surgically removed, he would never let me do so.

Especially if he's the cause.

I cradled my head in my hands, a sudden wave of nausea coursed through my system. I feel so nauseated I feel like I might throw up on my desk.

"Meraki!"

My head snapped up at the voice. Everyone was staring at me. The teacher as well, her brow was creased together indicating that she was concerned.

"Are you okay, Meraki?" She questioned. "Do you need to go to the nurse's office?"

I can't talk. If I do, I think I might vomit.

So I nod instead. She dismissed me.

I had to walk slowly because I fear I might retch everywhere, which would be embarrassing.

I knocked before opening the door, a nurse was nursing a red haired boy. Their heads turned towards me, aware of my arrival.

"Tendo." I greeted him weakly, grasping my stomach.

I might really throw up here.

He offered me a lopsided grin, throwing his head back.

"Hellou." He straightened up suddenly after observing me in my current state.

I must look very bad for him to have a sudden change in mood. His grin disappeared.

"Oh, dear. Are you okay?" The nurse asked, finishing with Tendo's bandages hurriedly and guided me to one of the empty bed.

"I'll get you some water and snacks. I'll be right back. Tendo, look after her for a moment, will you?" She chirped before dashing out of the office.

Tendo walked towards me, taking a seat by my bed. He inspected me more and tilted his head slightly. His dark red irises bore into mine.

"Are you okay? Your face is green."

"I feel a bit nauseous. Nothing worrisome." I gave him a weak thumbs up. His smile didn't return.

"You have some blood at the corner of your lips." He stated.

I quickly brought my hand above my mouth, rubbing harshly with my sleeve jacket. Bringing it away, I stare at my clean sleeves.

He tricked me.

He had a mischievous smile etched across his face. "Got you."

"I thought it was lipstick." I defended myself.

"You don't wear make up."

"Yes, I do." My voice gave it away. I sounded way too defensive.

"Do you have the Hanahaki disease." He asked. Eyes downcasted as they stare into mine.

"No." My voice broke.

God, damn it.

We stared at each other for a while. The nurse burst into the room with a bottled water and a container filled with a variety of snacks.

"Thank you so much, Satori." The nurse thanked him. "You can rest for a bit and leave when you're ready."

He only got his palm treated, his fingers wrapped in bandages. So its probably nothing serious.

"You should go, Tendo." I drank the water the nurse had offered me.

"No. I'll rest for a bit." He stated and plopped on the bed next to me, drawing the curtains to the side so he can see me.

I looked away from him, trying to avoid any interaction. He might find out.

And I've only gotten the symptoms today as well.

The nurse went into another room to retrieve something for health.

"Don't tell anyone." I said helplessly, still refusing to face him.

I was met with silence. I felt my nails dig into my palm, nervous.

"I won't." He said.

I relaxed almost immediately, sighing in relief.

"How long?" He asked.

I stare at the ceiling.

"Earlier today." I whispered.

He sat up in his bed, his lips formed a straight line as he stared at his shoes.

"Don't worry about me." I tried offering him a comforting smile.

He smiled back, but I know it wasn't because he stopped worrying, thinking I can handle it. It was because he knew that is the only thing that could do to comfort me.