twelve

I didn't know how long I had been coughing, desperately tightening the grip on my throat to stop the petals from falling out.

I didn't realise Tendou had been standing beside me until I had gained my composure, blinking out any tear residues swimming in my eyes.

While doing so, Tendou had leaned against the wall beside me with my water bottle in his hand, ready to give it to me whenever I needed it.

As I was coughing, he had rubbed and patted my back gently as if he was reassuring me, to remind me that he was there to aid me.

After making sure I had stopped coughing, he handed me the water bottle and I chugged it down slowly, rubbing my jacket sleeve against my lips.

Bad mistake.

The white fabric was stained red. I didn't have the energy to curse so I just stood there and stared at Tendou who was looking at me with a blank expression.

"Eita's." His tired, yet happy voice had turned curt and solemn as the name rolled off his tongue.

I laughed. A sad laugh. So sad, it pierced through my ears, pricks of needles grazed into my skin.

"Yeah." I said quietly, as if our conversation were a whisper amongst the wind. "Eita's."

Friday rolled around, and I decided to have lunch with Eita and Briell.

They sat across from me, giggling next to each other.

Briell had leaned towards Eita to whisper something in his ear. He had a small smile on his face as he poked around the small potato on his plate, his cheeks turning a soft shade of pink when Briell pulled away from him.

"Aren't you going to eat anything, Meraki?" Briell had asked, shooting me a worried glance as she stared at my water bottle.

Since Ushijima decided to have lunch with Tendou, I excused myself. Tendou however insist that I join him but I told him I needed to see Eita today. And I knew he was worried since my condition was worsening, seeming I had to consume a higher dose when it has been less than a week since my diagnosis.

I chuckled awkwardly and placed a hand on my neck, covering it. "No. I'm on a diet."

I saw Eita frowned slightly, puckering his lips as we made eye contact. "You never went on diets, though?"

Briell smacked Eita's biceps gently, frowning but it was quickly replaced with a small smile on her face, happy she had a reason to touch Eita.

"Eita, you can't say that." Briell tutted as if she was scolding him. "Every girl has tried to try it, so leave her be."

Eita stayed silent, eyes never leaving mine which made me more uncomfortable.

Does he realise that we have been spending more and more time less together?

Or how awkward I have been with him?

Does he realise that he doesn't wait for me anymore? How he left for school earlier in the morning or how he'll walk back home with Briell?

"Oh." Briell said suddenly, clasping her sides. Her face contorted in pain. "I need to go to the bathroom real quick."

"I can go with you—" Before I could stand up, she had stopped me by putting her arms in front of her.

"It's fine, I'll be quick." Briell rushed off, still clasping her sides as she disappeared from my sight.

Damn. I don't feel like being alone with Eita right now.