twenty

I quietly stared out the window displaying the busy streets of Tokyo. The tall buildings and cars illuminated the streets, neon coloured signboards adding colour to the mundane surroundings.

I laid back against the stiff bed, shuffling my feet underneath the thin blanket the nurses had provided me.

I hadn't known hospitals are set to be so chilly.

The door to my room slid open quietly, pulling my attention away from the bustling streets and onto the figure entering my room.

"Hi, Meraki."

I smiled at Eita. He stood quietly beside my bed, peering down at me with downturned eyes. He slowly observed my body before sitting on the chair by my bed, clasping his warm, calloused hand in mine. The contrast between my cold fingers and his warm ones had warmed up my whole body.

"You're freezing." He mumbled, letting out a string of curses directed towards the hospital staff. Plunging his hand into a paper bag he had brought with him, he pulled out a thick blanket.

The blanket we had shared at the beach, where I had confessed I had caught the disease.

I let out a little laugh, followed by a cough.

My health had deteriorated drastically since the weather had dropped multiple degrees. It didn't help in my case as I need constant heat so I wouldn't die of hypothermia. I needed sufficient heat so my lungs would still be able to work properly.

Eita plopped down the thick blanket on my feet and snatched a water bottle from a nearby table. Twisting the cap open, he patted my back as I gratefully drank the water. I leaned back onto the bed with a long sigh, muttering a quiet thank you.

"Have you been eating?" Eita threw the hospital blanket off of my frail figure and draped me with his one. It was still warm and smelled fresh.

It smelt of lavenders. His signature scent.

Although he had caused me pain, his scent still calmed me nonetheless.

"You look thinner than the last time I saw you." Eita quipped when I didn't reply.

"Eita, you visited me yesterday."

"That doesn't prove my point."

He angrily huffed before finally settling into the cold, metal seat. He crossed his arms over his chest and with teary eyes, he avoided my gaze.

Eita was still a growing teenager with the heart of a child. Albeit the piercing expression he kept on his face, he harbored the kindness and adoration of a toddler. Expressing anger was not something common for him. He'd either play volleyball or he'd just bottle his feelings up to calm himself down.

Slowly, I reach for his hands resting on the side of my bed. They were clenched into fists, trembling ever so slightly.

"Eita." I whispered and pried his hands open gently. I stroked his palm, trying to ease the hurt in his heart.

He wiped his tears away harshly but he didn't pull away from me. He bit his trembling bottom lips.

"I love you, Meraki."

Eita had gained some composure. He had accepted the fact that I will soon die, therefore he was trying to make the most out of it with the remainder of the time I had left. He was trying to talk more gently despite the fact that he was beating himself up subconsciously.

"Don't cry, Eita." I cooed gently. I caged his hand in mine, squeezing it in attempt to comfort him. "You've been good to me."

I could easily disregard his actions the duration of time he was with Briell. He had helped me through so much while we were growing up. Beating my bullies, saving me from unexplainable events, protected me, cared for me.