seven

I couldn't attend school for a couple of days, staying bedridden and coughing every few hours. The scratching at the bottom of my lungs was unbearable so I could only stare up at the ceiling as I endured it.

It got worst within these two days. More and more lavender buds and petals filled the plastic bags I had brought from the kitchen.

The toilet will flood if I continued to discharge my petals in there so I had no other choice.

I had filled two bags already, halfway through my third. Blood and saliva was everywhere, staining both the wood floor and my bedsheets. I felt like ripping out my heart or lungs. I don't know, maybe both?

School is out now, so I'll probably feel better here on out. And I should probably throw these out before my parents get home.

Groggily, I grabbed the bags and made my way downstairs.

It wasn't as hot as before seeing as how it's nearing Autumn. The hot air had ousted with the cooling breeze.

I threw the last bag into the bin, blinking slowly. The wind pricked my bare legs and so I seek warmth by balling my fists in the pockets of my jacket.

"Meraki!"

My attention diverted from the bin towards the familiar voice. Emerald orbs connected with brown orbs. My wind pricked my skin once more.

Despite the wide distance between us, I could decipher by the way he's bringing himself towards me that he is unpleased. With something, or someone. 

His brows furrowed together as he glared at me, huffing a frustrated puff as he diverted his gaze elsewhere, as if the sight of him pissed him off.

My irritation irked.

"Hey..?" I tried but to no avail, his gaze remained anywhere but on me. 

I couldn't even bring myself to think why on earth would he be mad with me, of all people. I don't think I did anything particularly bad, so the irritation in my only rises as he suspired a sharp breath.

"Why didn't you tell me you won't come to school?" He began, finally setting his eyes on me.

That was very annoying.

"I was sick." I bit my tongue to avoid saying anything else that would lengthen the banter. 

"Then you should have told me!" He exasperated, running his hand through his hair repeatedly. 

"Well I can't help it if I'm suddenly feeling poorly now, can I?" Very annoyed, I plastered my gaze elsewhere to avoid striking him in the face.

"I made you Bento, Meraki."

I could feel my heart burst and heat rushed all over my body. I was high, feeling nothing but euphoria seeping through my bloodstream.

"You made me bento?"

"Yes!" He sighed, pressing his palm to his forehead. "For two days and you didn't come once. You could have told me. Sent me a message or something."

"Sorry..." I apologised. An insane amount of regret rushed through me as his disappointed demeanor. I should have went to school. I should have went despite the pain, it could have healed. The pain would soothe. "Well, you can give it to me now?" I suggested, holding out my palms.

"Forget it. I gave it to Briell."

What?

My hands dropped to my side idly.

Brielle.

"Oh."

Was that why it especially worsened during lunch time?

"What? Did you feed her or something?" I scoffed. The high I felt earlier was replaced with emptiness. My body felt heavy, and I want nothing but to drift into slumber. 

Not even being in the presence of Eita excites me any longer. At least for now. It was slowly becoming tiring.

He didn't answer. Instead, he had rested his hand behind his neck, staring at the sky as his cheeks reddened ever so slightly.

I felt my heart chipped.

My throat tightened at his flustered state. I turned around swiftly, digging my nails into my palms. "Go."

But before I could even take a step forward, his hand circled around my elbow, prohibiting me from leaving. His grip tightened when I tried to leave.

"Oh, you're giving me attitude?" Eita was baffled. "You're the one who didn't come to school!"

"Then why are you so pissed at me for?!" I yanked my elbow away from him, the action harsh enough for him to loosen the grasp. My eyes caught his from over my shoulder.

His eyes widened at my sudden hostility which only fueled his anger in return.

"I tried to do something nice for you and you're—"

"You gave it to Briell, didn't you?! You like her and she ate your bento! What's the big problem?"

"But I made it for you—"

"But you gave it to her!" I yelled. So loud that I fret, just for a moment that the neighbours might've heard us.

I placed a hand over my eyes, squeezing it so tightly fearing tears would burst.

"You could've..." My words faltered. I couldn't bring myself to talk, the lump in my throat was painful to swallow down.

But he could've walked over to my house and gave it to me. Not give it to some random girl.

"Go, Eita." I said quietly, my back facing him.

And he did.