thirteen

"One month, Meraki." The doctor muttered as he stared at the computer screen. An x-ray of my lungs was shown, with thick roots circling the bottom of it. Thin and long branches were starting to form, grazing the top half of my lungs ever so slightly. There were three full grown lavenders growing on the sides of my lungs.

Tendou too had been staring at the computer, eyes drooped.

I fondled with my hands in my lap.

"It's barely been a week since you were diagnosed and your condition had worsened drastically." Doctor stated. His lips had formed a thin line and his bushy eyebrows were knitted together.

We has a small disagreement earlier, him insisting I should go under surgery but I had refused. Tendou didn't mix in and just stared by the sidelines, patting my upper back to calm me down.

"I'll give you a higher dose." The doctor sighed and ran a hand through his thinning hair. "You'll maintain." He nudged his chin towards Tendou.

We were now sitting side by side in the bus. I leaned the side of my head on the cold window, staring at the medication I had received.

Tendou's condition had not changed, luckily. But he did get a new bottle of medication since his was running out.

It was already dark out. The hospital we went to was an hour away from our neighbourhood to avoid bumping into mutuals or anyone we might've known. I sighed and sinked deeper into the hard seat.

I had taken the new pill earlier since my throat started itching and I felt like coughing, but I feel much better now that I had taken the new dose.

But it was weird, since it was already night time and I felt that. What would they had done for me to feel such so late in the night?

Just as I was about to doze off, a familiar figure entered the bus and my heart sped up almost immediately at the sight.

Eita had boarded the bus with a small smile on his face. His cheeks were tainted red, probably from the cold.

But I was wrong, it was not from the cold.

Eita was dragging a blushing Briell behind him, hand in hand intertwined together like a couple. They were still in our school uniform, except they had matching scarfs which I hadn't seen them wear at school.

They must've bought it earlier. Maybe that's why I felt like coughing.

I quickly averted my gaze out the window, praying they won't notice us. Hurriedly stuffing my medication inside my bag, I clamped my eyes shut.

"Meraki?"

Shit.

I turn my head towards the voice. Eita stared at me blankly. His hands still intertwined with Briell. Briell however, was still blushing and had hid behind Eita's shoulder as if she was embarrassed.

What? Did they kiss or something? Why is she so embarrassed?

"Oh, hey." I smile and waved slightly.

Before he could say something, Briell had dragged him to the back of the bus and giggled softly alone as she led Eita to a dark seating area.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and sagged my shoulders. I planted my forehead against the cold surface again as my eyes flutter shut.

Just by looking at them exhaust me.

"Isn't the window cold?" I heard Tendou asked. Voice calm and soothing.

I lifted my head and turned to meet his glossy, scarlet orbs.

I chuckled. "It is."

"You can sleep here." He patted his shoulder gently.
"I don't mind."

To be frank, I was freezing so I gave in and snuggled my head on his shoulder. It was definitely more comfortable than the window, and our height difference was perfect for this position.

My bag was in my lap and I fondled around with the keychain. The matching keychain Eita had bought for him and me back five years ago, and neither of us took it off to symbolise how close we were.

I realised Tendou's scent resembled much of lilies. He smells good. Calming.

"Tendou, can I ask you something?" I mumbled.

"Yeah?"

"Are you gay?"

Tendou bursted out laughing. It was filled with amusement but I could hear the strain in them. I felt the corners of my lips tug at the sight of him.

I felt happy.

"Well." Tendou started. He had calmed down and leaned back on the seat as he bore his eyes into mine. He was still amused by the look in his eyes. Pupils dilated. "I'm actually bisexual. I prefer women, but I just happen to fall in love with Wakatoshi."

I nodded slowly, a faint smile still on my lips.

"However, if I hadn't fallen in love with him..." He trailed off, staring the the seat in front of him.

I tilted my head, awaiting for him to finish his sentence.

A small smile appeared on his face and his features relaxed when he turned his head to look back at me. He gently held the side of my head and guided me back to his shoulder. His actions were so tender, I couldn't help but felt my stomach flip.

"If we had met a little earlier, I probably would've fallen for you."

And I felt my heart beat a little faster.