Chapter Forty-Two~Conflicting Ideals

Chapter Forty-Two
Conflicting Ideals
Elizabeth Cullen
June 12, 2006

"I'm worried." I confessed the moment that Carlisle and I were alone in our room. "What was he thinking? Dropping her so hard like that? All just to prove some point!"

"I know, Honeybee." He sighed in response. "But, we can't be too quick to judge. We don't know what they must be going through. To think one another deceased for so long...I can't imagine how much they've both changed over the decades apart. There's bound to be some discourse as they try to become re-adjusted."

"He knew to be careful with her, we both warned him, and he actively disregarded it." I shook my head, borderline furious with my new son-in-law.

A knock at the bedroom door forced me to recollect my emotions before answering the door to a stressed-looking Edythe.

"Edythe? What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I worried over her, taking her by her arms and guiding her to sit at my vanity.

She shook her head no too quickly to be okay, "I think he's gone." She sobbed, trying too hard to keep herself from falling to pieces.

"Gone?" Carlisle questioned.

"We had a fight. It was stupid and pointless but I was trying to get him to listen to me about fighting. I can do this, I know that I can, and I just need training like everyone else. Once I get over the effects of the blood in my system, once it all dissipates, I know I'll be strong enough to fight. You all need my gift. I can help. Please." She ranted, pulling at her bronze curls with worry. "But he wouldn't listen and ran off through the woods headed towards Seattle. He's gone."

"Oh, Edythe." I sighed with worry. "He's not gone. He'll be back. Garrett obviously adores you, in a strange kind of way in my opinion, but he loves you too much to stay away now that he's found you again. Just let him calm down and I'm sure he'll come back to you." I tried to ease her worry.

"Please, Edythe, try to calm down. I'll call for Jasper if that's what you need?" Her father worried over her as well.

"No, no, I'll be okay. Just a moment." She shook her head again, trying so hard to get a grip. "I've missed him for so long. But, now that he's back, I fear we're two different people than what we were. I don't know if we'll ever get back to the way we were."

"You can't think like that, Edythe." I told her firmly. "If you do, you'll just be halting whatever progress you're trying to make. It may take time, but you'll get there eventually. Or, since you are different people, you may get to an even better place."

"Your mother is right, of course." Carlisle supported me. "Take your mother and I for example. As a human and vampire, we were barred from our love by societal standards. When we were both vampires, those constraints were lifted."

"Didn't it take mother nearly a year to accept you?" Edythe asked.

"You're only proving my point, dear." I laughed at her. "It takes time, no matter who or what you are, to develop a love connection, or, to revive an old one."

"Thank you, Mom." She hugged me tightly. "And thank you, Dad." She launched herself at Carlisle to hug him as well. "I feel better now. Though, I'd feel even better if he'd come back."

"I'm sure." Carlisle agreed with her. "But, Edythe, about the issue of you aiding our fight. Discuss it with Jasper, see what he thinks about your capabilities, and we'll go from there."

"Thank you." She kissed his cheek before moving towards the door. "I'll try to find him before tonight's training session. Again, I can't thank you both enough."