Chapter Ten~The Great Fight of 1982

Chapter Ten
The Great Fight of 1982
Elizabeth Cullen
London, England. 1982.

"Another letter from Edward," I sighed heavily as I sat at the table across from Carlisle, moving one of his textbooks out of the way so I could open the thick envelope. "One from Alice, but still nothing from Rosalie and Emmett."

"This whole situation has gotten so out of hand." Carlisle shook his head, putting his book down and giving me his full attention. "What even started this petty fight between all of them?"

"Emmett's slip-up, apparently, among other things." I frowned, scanning through Edwards' letter. "Edward is doing fine prowling through France. He's decided that he likes the music after all. He'll come and visit us soon. He misses us both, and the family, and can't wait for his siblings to get over their bickering so we can all be together again." I summarized the letter to Carlisle.

"It's good to know that at least one of our kids hasn't lost their senses entirely." Carlisle nodded. "How's Alice and Jasper?" He asked as I cut the seal on Alices' delicately written letter.

"Still angry with Rosalie and Emmett it seems." I frowned. "She's going on about the double-standard this family has and that it's wrong for Rosalie and Emmett to have been so hard on Jasper for his slip when he was new but treat Emmetts' like it's acceptable behavior." I explained her page-long angry rant. "Oh, interesting, they're in France now too. She decided to visit a friend of hers from her nomadic years. I wonder if they'll run into Edward."

"Hopefully, Edward's probably the only one that can get Alice to calm down and see reason in all of this. Especially since Jasper is so upset as well." Carlisle noted.

"They do have a good reason to be upset." I agreed with Alice. "The double-standard is wrong and unacceptable. This is a family built on unconditional love and to suddenly have conditions puts a rift in that dynamic. But, holding on to that anger and not resolving it is making it difficult to be a family even further."

"Any longer and we might seriously have a divide in the coven." Carlisle worried with me.

"You don't really think one of the couples would leave? Do you?" I cried at the idea of losing some of my kids. "It's hard enough when they decide to live apart from us from time to time. I can't handle that, Carlisle."

"I know, me either." He caught my hands in his to calm me down. "I've seen other covens dissolve over conflicts much smaller than this. Two vampires arguing over the same meal can cause rifts so big that they'll stay on separate continents just to avoid each other for the rest of their existences."

"But that's human-drinking vampires, not our kids." I refused to except the idea. "What are we going to do about this? We can't just stay neutral and hide out in our quaint little London flat." I laughed bitterly. "This idea of letting them figure it out on their own isn't working, obviously. They'll never resolve anything that way."

"Maybe you should write Edward and ask that he find Alice and Jasper." Carlisle offered and I quickly got to work writing a letter in reply. "Have him talk to them and try to get them open to the idea of meeting and working through this issue. Stress to him the importance of this being a family first and a coven second. If Alice and Jasper agree, maybe Alice can use her gift to find Rosalie and Emmett. We could then go and collect them and meet up in a neutral space with everyone. Let them hash things out before we set them all straight."

"Sounds perfect to me." I nodded, finishing out the letter quickly before sealing it up. "I just hope this works. I don't know if I could survive losing any one of my children." I shook my head, the heaviness of the situation weighing down on me.