Chapter Thirty-Six~Kidnapped

Chapter Thirty-Six
Kidnapped
Elizabeth Cullen
May 31-June 1, 2006

"She's not going to be happy about any of this." Edythe frowned at me from her seat at the kitchen island. "Why are we trying so hard to please her?"

"You're right, Bella is bound to be quite put out with us." I agreed with her, putting Bella's dinner in the oven to warm up. "Hopefully her favorite restaurant will cheer her up some. Thank you for going with me to pick it up today."

"It's always nice to get out of the house." Edythe giggled. "I was a nomad once upon a time. A little change in scenery is always good for me."

"Noted." I nodded at her, just as Alice arrived with Bella. "I so hope she isn't furious with us all. She has to know that it's not you or I doing this, it's Edward entirely."

"Well, I am the one that took her to the treaty line at the risk of my own neck last week. Surely she knows I'm not appart of this kidnapping ploy." Edythe shook her head.

"You did get quite the chewing out from Edward and Alice." I laughed dryly, hating to think of the way Edward had spoken to her.

"Alice, don't you think this is just a little bit controlling? Just a tiny bit psychotic, maybe?" Bella's voice suddenly hit both of our ears as she stomped up the porch steps.

"Not really." Alice responded curtly. "You don't seem to grasp how dangerous a young werewolf can be. Especially when I can't see them. Edward has no way to know if you're safe. You shouldn't be so reckless."

"Yes, because a vampire slumber party is the pinnacle of safety conscious behavior!" Bella laughed without humor as she entered the kitchen and joined Edythe and I at the kitchen island.

"I'll give you a pedicure and everything." Alice laughed joyfully before dancing upstairs.

"Sorry, Bella." Edythe frowned. "I tried to tell them it was an awful idea."

"Ridiculous, really." I agreed. "Still, just because it's a bad situation doesn't mean it can't be a fun night. Edythe and I drove into Port Angeles today to pick up food from the cute little Italian place you like so much." I smiled encouragingly at her.

"Great, thanks." Bella's lips twitched in response.

Hours later, after dinner and movies and painting nails, Alice asked a question she'd been dying to for days.

"How late do you want to stay up?" she asked Bella, her excitement palpable no matter how sour Bella's mood was.

"I don't want to stay up. We have school in the morning." Bella remarked. "Where am I supposed to sleep, anyway? Can't you just keep me under surveillance at my house?"

"What kind of a slumber party would that be?" Alice shook her head in exasperation. "You're sleeping in Edward's room."

"On the sofa?" Bella frowned.

"No, of course not." Edythe laughed once. "I have a perfectly good bed made up for you."

"Actually, you don't!" Alice cheered, finally getting to the exciting bit.

"I made it up for her this morning?" Edythe questioned Alice.

"Well, you did, but that's before I moved your things into your new room!" Alice clapped. "It's all ready for you. I'll show you around when Bella goes to bed."

"Can I go back to my place to get my things, at least?" Bella asked.

"Already taken care of." Alice dismissed her quickly.

"Am I allowed to use your phone?"

"Charlie knows where you are."

"I wasn't going to call Charlie." Bella practically growled. "Apparently, I have some plans to cancel."