Chapter Forty-Four~The Fight

Chapter Forty-Four
The Fight
Elizabeth Cullen
June 14-15, 2006

"Perhaps an intervention is the last thing she needs at the present moment." Carlisle worried quietly to me as we walked down the hall to Jasper's office.

"She has to understand. She has to know how much she's loved. Putting her in the center of this huge fight without sitting her down and explaining to her just how much we cherish her would be wrong, Carlisle. It makes me sick to think about her being such a central player in this." I worried back at him.

"Very well, dear." He sighed as he knocked on the doorframe of Jaspers office.

I, however, breezed in and took the seat next to Edythe, clutching her hands in mine tightly.

"Mother?" Edythe questioned me incredulously, her gorgeous eyes wide and worried as she looked at me.

"My precious girl." I cooed as I doted over her. "You are so very loved, you know that, don't you."

"Well of course I do." She laughed at me. "And I hope you know how much I love all of you in turn."

"We do, Edythe." Carlisle spoke from the doorway. "Your mother is very worried that something is going to happen to you during the fight today. She couldn't stand to not sit you down and explain our love for you."

"Mother, I'll be perfectly fine." Edythe assured me gently. "I'll have Garrett and Jasper watching my back and the entire family around me while I focus on the newborns. It's fool proof, really."

"I know, I know, and while I trust the boys to protect you, I just can't help but worry. Up until a week ago, before Garrett came along, you were going to sit out. Now, you're our central character."

"I know it's scary, trust me, but we'll have to have faith that everything will be alright in the end." Edythe smiled her breathtaking grin, the one that makes everyone around her dizzyingly happy, and soothed my worries.

"You're right." I relented easily. "And you-" I turned to Garrett who had been hovering over Edythe's shoulder "take care of our girl out there."

"Yes general." He saluted playfully, before looking more serious. "I've lost her once. I don't intend to loose her ever again."

"Good." I nodded. "Well then, that's all from me. Jasper? Did you have anything to add?"

"Just a reminder of the formation." He grinned at me. "Edythe in the center, Garrett, Alice, and I covering her blind spots while Peter and Charlotte hold the left side. Elizabeth and Carlisle at the right side to catch whoever slips through Emmett and Rosalie at the far end of the field. The wolves forming a chain on the end Garrett and I will be stationed on for added coverage of Edythe." He relayed for the hundredth time. "Does that cover everyone?"

"I believe so." Carlisle nodded. "With Edward and Bella up on the mountainside, that seems to be all."

"Great." Jasper nodded. "Then that's all from me, besides "good luck and be careful", of course."

I kissed Edythes cheek before standing and crossing to Carlisle. I didn't want to leave our daughter, not so close to such an important fight, but I also knew the importance of not hovering over her.

As Carlisle and I walked down the hall to our room, Garrett and Edythe bypassed us headed for the staircase, both of them looking like love-stricken teenagers.

"I'm so glad they've found each other, again." Carlisle smiled happily as we entered our room. "They have such a unique playfulness."

"Very much so." I agreed, smiling back at him as I caught him around his waist. "Almost remind you of us, don't they?" I teased.