Chapter Twelve~Trauma

Chapter Twelve
Trauma
Elizabeth Cullen
Forks, Washington. January, 2005.

It had been a week since Edward had first smelled the Swan girls blood, and his outlook on the situation had not improved at all.

He had resigned himself to the fact that he wasn't going to hurt her, which in turn, caused Alice to receive a very surprising vision. A vision that Edward wasn't very keen about at all.

Alice had seen two outcomes, results that she seemed convinced were set in stone, and Edward had hated both of them. One outcome was that Edward would kill the girl, wether it would be by accident or on purpose was unclear. The second outcome was that she would be one of us one day, a Cullen and a vampire.

"I can't stand him." Alice declared, startling me from my daydreaming as she marched into Carlisle and I's bedroom.

"Oh? Who?" I questioned her, setting aside the medical textbook I hadn't been reading.

"Your son." She glared angrily at me, kicking her shoes off and climbing into my bed.

"I have three." I laughed at her as she sat criss-cross at the foot of the bed. "But I can guess which one you're referring to."

"The ginger that looks just like you." She scowled.

"Ah, that clears things up." I nodded, trying to keep myself from laughing at the angry look on her beautiful face. "So? What's the latest development?" I asked her.

"I can't help what I see, Mom." She sighed heavily. "I also can't help but get attached so quickly, you know how I am, and so it's entirely unfair for him to be blaming me for this whole madness!"

"I agree." I nodded calmly. "I still haven't seen the original vision. I was out hunting with Carlisle when that fight went down."

"Here." She grumbled, shutting her eyes tightly in concentration as I flipped on my gift.

Bright sunlight, playful laughter, Edward chasing a young auburn-brown headed vampire before playfully surpassing her.

"See? It's so clear and he's hardly even talked to her yet!" Alice cried. "He's so sure I'm wrong."

"He's also clueless apparently." I whispered, still entirely shocked by the vision. "My old wedding ring on her finger didn't elude me."

"You saw that too?" Alice grinned. "I'll need to get it refurbished quickly, just in case."

"I'll get the diamonds replaced." I assured her. "I don't want any negative energy from my first marriage to follow after my son. Especially when it seems he has more than enough turmoil ahead of him."

"A human for a mate, can you believe it?" Alice smiled in disbelief at me.

"Well, actually I can." I laughed lightly, remembering Carlisle's intense devotion to me as a human. "It seems Edward is becoming Carlisle's son more and more everyday."

"Right." Alice nodded. "I've heard those stories."

"Still, Carlisle and I were nothing more than friends when I was human. We only made our romantic feelings for each other known there at the very end and it took me a full year into my vampire life to accept him." I worried for my son. "What if this girl is an entirely different story?"

"It will be." Alice nodded. "The situation is entirely different here. Bella isn't married with a grown son and social pressures keeping her in a loveless marriage instead of with her soulmate, for one. She's a teenage girl with a year and a half left of school."

"And parents who love her." I added, feeling a kinship for Chief Swan in the level of his devotion to his only child. "I'm sure she has friends by now too, people that will miss her when she's gone. That complicates things."