Chapter Eight~Alice and Jasper

Chapter Eight
Alice and Jasper
Elizabeth Cullen
Walhalla, North Dakota. 1950.

"I'm sorry, what did you say your name was?"

"Alice." The gorgeous petite woman answered me, smiling widely, her large golden eyes the main feature on her small angular face.

I was stunned by the odd vampire pair in front of me. Jasper stood tall and menacing as a myriad of scars blanketed his skin. Alice was petite in the extreme with wide orange eyes offsetting her small face, lips, and nose. There had to be more than two feet of height difference between them.

But, however surprised I was, I couldn't deny that my heart seemed to adopt them at that very moment.

"Alice." I smiled widely before turning to her companion. "And Jasper." I offered him the same welcoming smile. "Everyone will be so excited to meet you both." I offered, opening the front door and showing them into the living room.

Later, after everyone arrived home from town and we all got to meet Alice and Jasper, Carlisle stood at the window watching the kids play a game in the backyard. They were teaching Alice and Jasper their favorite yard game, trying to get comfortable with their presence, and it was very funny watching Alice excel and Jasper struggle to keep up.

"She's wonderful." I smiled enthusiastically as I wrapped my arms around Carlisle's waist from behind.

"Such a gift." Carlisle shook his head in amazement. "Able to see the future as if it's the present with such poise, elegance, and enthusiasm. She's practically an angel on earth." Carlisle smiled over his shoulder at me.

"Absolutely." I agreed. "I'm so glad they've found us, but Jasper is a bit worrying to me." I sighed heavily.

"I understand the hesitation, but I feel as if we have a role to fulfill here. We're already parenting and guiding Edward, Emmett, and Rosie. The diet presents challenges, as we're all aware, and a vampire as old as Jasper can't do it alone. I feel like I'd have a guilty conscience for the rest of my existence if I turned him away." Carlisle explained, mimicking my sigh.

"Not to mention that Alice would leave too if we turned him away." I added. "She needs us, Carlisle. There's no telling who might try to corrupt her and use her if the wrong people find out about her gift." I worried for her.

"I agree." He nodded. "She was obviously malnourished and deficient in several nutrients as a human, I'm sure of it. And with no memories of her human life or creator, I can't help but worry what kind of trauma that's done psychologically to her. To think she's been alone for so long thinking no one cared for her." He shook his head in disbelief that such a sweet soul could be treated so poorly. "Also, I don't like the idea of the two of them being left alone for such a long period of time. There's no telling what small issue could make him lash out at her during this new transition. You remember how you and Edward used to fight in the beginning? I expect it's going to be even more challenging as they're on different levels."

"Then it's settled, they need us and we aren't willing to turn them away, so they'll stay." I nodded, looking back out the window and liking the idea of having a full house. "You know, when I was a little girl, I always wanted to have six kids." I confessed, giggling at my childish fantasies.

"Six?" Carlisle laughed. "Well, that was a fairly normal number back then." He shrugged, remembering what years I grew up. "Especially in Ireland."

"I was devastated after losing Edythe. Then to be told I couldn't have any more children only added to that grief." I sighed. "It's a little funny that we're only missing one now." I giggled, trying to get myself out of my mood.