Chapter Twenty-One~Party

Chapter Twenty-One
Party
Elizabeth Cullen
Forks, Washington. June 20th, 2005-September 13th, 2005.

"There you are." Carlisle smiled tightly at me as he entered our bedroom and found me staring blankly out the wall of glass. "It's a hard day for you, I know, so I thought I'd come and check on you."

"104 years and it never gets any easier." I shook my head. "I should be thankful for Edward, and I am, I am unbelievably grateful for a healthy and wonderful son like him, but, I still can't help but mourn Edythe."

"No one faults you for that, Elizabeth." He assured me softly. "You're justified in your grief, but, at the same time, please don't let it ruin your joy. I know how proud you are of Edward, we both are, don't let the pain keep you from celebrating his life."

"You're right." I nodded, crossing the room slowly to take his hand in mine. "Let's go downstairs and join the family, hmm?"

"That's my girl." He smiled proudly before walking with me downstairs to the living room.

The entire family was there, Bella included, lounging around the room talking and laughing. I was surprised to find even Rosalie seemed to be in good spirits today, smiling lightly as she watched Emmett shoot rubber bands at Edward from across the room.

"Happy birthday." I hit an incoming rubber band away before leaning over the back of the couch to hug Edward tightly. "I love you so much."

"Thank you. I love you too, Mom." He hugged me back. "I know Edythe would've loved you too." He whispered to me and I kissed his cheek before going to Carlisle's side.

"So? Any fun plans today?" I asked the room cheerfully, trying to hide the bitter sweet feeling settling over me.

"Jasper, Rosalie, Emmett, and I are leaving for Alaska today." Alice reminded me.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot about your visit to the Denali's." I nodded. "Tell them hello from me, and tell Carmen to call me sometime. It's been far too long since we've caught up with one another."

"Will do, Mom." Emmett laughed loudly. "Should I give Esme a kiss for you, too?"

"That's taking it a little far." I frowned playfully at him.

"Be safe, kids." Carlisle smiled at them as they all headed out to the garage.

"Love you!" I called after them.

"Love you too!" Alice called back before shutting the door behind them.

"Well, it's a beautiful day, what are you two up to?" I asked Edward and Bella as Carlisle pulled me to sit with him on the loveseat.

"It's Edwards' birthday, so it's his pick, and he's decided that he'd like to spend the day out in the meadow in the sunshine." Bella replied happily.

"You know it's a big sacrifice for her. The sunshine really breaks Bella's heart, but she's kind enough to join me." Edward teased her.

"Oh I'm sure it's a real hardship." I laughed with him.

"Wow, a house to ourselves. That hardly ever happens." Carlisle grinned at me.

"Unheard of." I giggled.

"Alright, Bella, after eighty-six years of my parents marriage, I know when to clear the room. Let's get going." He chuckled, helping Bella up before leading her out the backdoor.

Carlisle pounced immediately, pinning me beneath him on the loveseat and attacking my neck and face with kisses.

"Carlisle!" I laughed in surprise before my phone went off, effectively silencing our fun as I pulled it to my ear. "Dr. Cullen." I answered.