16 - We'll Sing Forever

The next day, Cory woke up ready to start the day. Because she was temporarily not in school for the time being, she was able to sleep in, so she felt energized. She showered and took her time doing her hair and makeup. Cory put on a simple black tank and jeans with her black converse and a black leather jacket.

Cory walked into the kitchen and made sure Wednesday had enough food and water in her bowls. Cory then made sure she had everything she needed in her purse, then headed out.

x

It was a small music store, but it was also so perfect. It smelled of the wood of acoustic guitars and cleaner polish. A Beatles song fainly played through some speakers somewhere, and Cory could vaguely hear someone giving a piano lesson in the other room. This would be a good place to get a new guitar...

x

Cory approached the café eagerly. She gripped her guitar case beside her with her new acoustic guitar in it. Someone opened the door for her as they walked out and Cory stepped in, quickly thanking them.

It was a nice place. The smell of coffee and sweets greeted her as soon as she walked in. There was a sofa, lounge chairs, your tipical restaurant chairs with tables in between them. Cory certainly stood out with the whole 'family style' vibe this place had, but this was the only place near by that had an open mic every day.

Cory ordered a blueberry muffin and a coffee, then took a seat. She munched on her muffin as she watched someone approach the mic. Cory decided she liked this place. It was a good distraction from the real world.

After the first person finished, the café applauded and the performer stepped down. Cory looked around and didn't see anyone else going up. She decided now would be a good time. She took one last sip of her coffee, then gripped her guitar case and stood.

Cory went up to the mic, and gently took her new black acoustic guitar out of it's case. She wrapped the strap around herself and sat on the stool before finally speaking into the microphone.

"Hey, everyone." She greets, "My name's Cory; I'm a little new here so I would like to apologize in advance if I suck." She starts, getting a few people in the café to laugh.

"Anyway. Some of you may know this song; I used to sing it to my little brother when he coudln't sleep at night. Unfortunatley my brother passed away not too long ago, so I don't get to sing it very often anymore; so I thought I'd share it with you all."

At the mention of Cole's passing, Cory had the attention of many people in the cafe. Cory took a breath, then started playing the familiar song. Everyone already seemed to be tuned in and she hadn't even begun singing yet. Cory took another breath, then began. (A/N: This song is 'Be Good Until Then' by Butch Walker.)

Always know the road you're riding on

Always know the words

To you're baby's song

Try to make the most of Friday nights

When they come...

Maybe turn a stranger to a friend

Never break a heart that's on the mend

Never let the romance ever end

Like I've done...

Literally everyone in the cafe was looking at Cory. Even the employees. It seemed as if the world had stopped spinning and gone silent for a minute, just so it could listen to Cory sing.

Never judge a color of a skin

Never judge a person by their kin

Never follow leaders that begin