13 - The Pain We Love

Thursday.

Chris waited in the livingroom in a suit and tie. Cory was still getting ready upstairs. Cole's funeral was today.

Cory walked out in a dark blue, sleeveless, knee length dress and heels of the same color. Most of her jewelry had blue in it as well. Her hair was down and straightened.

"I didn't want to wear all black." Cory says, "Cole always thought black at funerals was so depressing. And blue was his favorite color."

Chris nods and takes her hand, "You ready?"

"No." Cory says, "How am I supposed to be ready for my baby brother's funeral?"

"I'm so sorry, honey..."

Cory just sighs, "Let's get this over with."

x

It was a closed casket ceremony. Cole's burns were so severe...The casket was so small. It almost made Chris sick to his stomach to see it. It made everyone feel that way.

Cory put on a brave face for the most part, only crying softly when someone hugged her and when she went up to speak. Chris held her hand almost the entire time. Cory was glad that he went with her. She needed him.

"It isn't fair." Cory says during the car ride home.

"What isn't?" Chris asks, already knowing the answer.

"This. This whole entire thing just isn't fair." Cory says, "I mean...He was nine years old, Chris."

"I know it isn't fair, sweetheart, I do. I'll do anything I can to make you feel better."

Cory sighs, "You already do."

They arrive back at the house shortly after. They get out of the car and Chris takes Cory's hand. He was so good to her during this time of need that she was in.

They walked into the house and were, as usual, greeted by Wednesday. Cory sighed, tiredly and took her hair out of its bun. Her black and red locks fell over her shoulders.

"I think I'm gonna go jump in the shower." Cory says, just wanting to wash the day away.

Chris simply nods, and Cory walks off.

x

Cory lay on the bed, on her back, staring at the ceiling, in only a towel. Wednesday trots into the bedroom. She hops up onto the bed and yips, wanting Cory's attention.

Cory gives a small laugh, "Hey there, Wednesday."

Chris walks in and raises an eyebrow, "Hot."

"Not now." Cory deadpans, tightening the towel.

"Just trying to lighten the mood." Chris says. He walks over and lays down on the bed next to Cory, "Alright. Talk to me."

Cory sighs, "I don't know who I am anymore."

"Hardly anyone knows who they are."

"Chris, what am I supposed to do with my life now? Taking care of Cole is all I've known for the last two and a half years."

"I don't know. Have you ever thought about college?"

Cory snorts, "Yeah, okay. I'll be lucky if I even graduate high school. And even if I do, college is expensive. I mean, yeah, I've got a lot of money from the insurance companies, but with all of Cole's funeral expenses and the fact that I need to pay Mandy back and I need to pay textbook rental to both mine and Cole's schools because I still haven't done that, I need to replace some things that I lost in the fire, and a bunch of other things, there's no way I could afford college."