1) missed connections

(I post faster updates on my ao3 account feelingstabby, so check that out if you prefer it. Also, I've done major editing and reworking of all of these chapters on my ao3 but won't be editing on here. Looking for better quality? Ao3 is the way to go! <3)

Time is a funny, funny thing. But it doesn't make Izuku laugh.

The vigilante drops from the air, hitting the ground with all the grace of a cat, and runs.

He should be commended, really, since he's choosing to run rather than fight. The two heroes chasing after him won't stand a chance if they catch him.

Izuku adjusts his mask, securing it to his face as he weaves in and out of oncoming traffic and onto the sidewalk. Pedestrians shout at him and complain about the less than two second inconvenience he causes them while running for his freedom, but Izuku is used to existing as an inconvenience.

Those words are old news to him.

He stops, finding an alleyway to turn into, and instantly realizes his mistake. Dead end.

The hero with the wooden body hops from the roof, landing in front of him.

Kamui Woods, Izuku's brain supplies. Is this a bad time to ask for an autograph?

Behind Izuku, Death Arms must've caught up. He can hear his heavy breathing as he moves to close him in.

"Give it up," Woods says. "You're cornered."

Izuku crouches down and grips the strap of his backpack. Just as he's about to fling himself into the air, his breath is knocked out of him. He's thrown against a dumpster, Death Arms now eyeing his bag and about to rip it away from him.

"Oh, hey guys," Izuku says nonchalantly. "Nice weather today, hm?"

He leans back against the wall behind him, using it as support as he hikes his knees up and aims a powerful kick into Death Arm's stomach. Izuku runs past him while he stumbles in pain.

"I would love to stay and talk, but I've got places to be and all."

"Son of a—" Woods suddenly enlarges his arms to stop the boy's second attempt at escape. Izuku dodges out of the way and spins on his heel, only just having time to catch the fist flying towards his head. He looks up and stares at the wide-eyed look on the other hero's face, still holding the fist tightly.

"That was close," Izuku teases. He throws the arm back at him. "You'll get it next time."

Death Arms steps back and glares down at him. "He's just a kid."

I'm literally right here.

The wood hero approaches, hesitant, eyeing him a bit differently. He can't do a lot with his quirk in such a limited space. The hero specializes in support, not so much close combat. "How old are you?"

Izuku doesn't see why that matters, doesn't see how that will change anything. He takes a couple of steps backward and raises his hand in warning. He knows to avoid hesitation, but he's sort of curious now.

"Why are you chasing me?" Izuku asks, moving so he has both heroes in eyesight.

"Is being an asshole enough reason?" Death Arms retorts, and Izuku giggles. I'd love this guy a lot more if he didn't just try to punch me.

Woods throws his friend an exasperated look. "You know why, Rabbit. Public quirk usage without a license, armed assault, vigilantism, attempted murder, and more things I can't bother to name." He points a finger at him. "You're putting a lot of people in danger, including yourself, and it's illegal, kid."