47) special occasions

Izuku is in the middle of a great dream when it happens. Well, not great, but it definitely isn't the worst dream he's ever had!

It's just a little weird if he's being honest. He's back in the void realm, as he's so creatively dubbed it, and the monsters are there and watching again. They try to attack him as they did before, but Izuku finds that he has much more control over himself and his surroundings than he did previously.

He can move faster. He can think quicker.

And the monsters can't touch him here. It's like an invisible layer of infinite space rests just above his skin, making it so he's a literal walking god.

Well, a dreaming god.

That's only when he's thinking about it, though. If he lets his guard down for even a second, the creatures go for his throat with a sort of desperate vengeance.

In this void realm, it's clear that Izuku is still only a little bit in control.

He puts his hands in his pockets, looking at the stars and colorful galaxies filling up the space all around him. Last time it was all just blackness, right? It wasn't like this before. That has to be a good thing, Izuku thinks.

He follows the brightest star until he comes upon that same pool he nearly drowned in last time. He stares down into it, looking at his reflection in the writhing black sludge.

The water is alive, that's for sure. But is he going to stick his hand in there again? That's a big fucking nope.

He's not that dumb, thanks. He doesn't want to drown again tonight—

The space around him suddenly vibrates and shakes, pressing against him until he's being shoved forward face-first into the pool of stars.

A shock goes up his spine like an electric current when he hits the water, and it's enough to have Izuku's eyes flying open, heart constricting inside his chest once he realizes he's flying through the air in real-time.

One for All wraps around him like a blanket immediately upon being called, and Izuku rights himself so his feet land on the wall perfectly. He grabs onto the shelf beside him so he can hang there and let his eyes adjust to the darkness for just a second.

A surprise attack.

Izuku sees movement and doesn't waste any time before bunching his legs and soaring across the room. He lands in the small kitchenette and grabs the steak knife that was left out from dinner.

He crouches on the counter and positions himself in a defensive stance, crossing his arms in front of him so the blade is on full display—a warning.

The only thing he gets in reply, however, is a sharp, startled laugh from somewhere in the dark. "A knife? Really? Did Toshi teach you that?"

Izuku blinks, not moving from his spot. "Torino, sir?"

"I thought your weapon of choice was a bōstaff." Right as the last word is spoken, Gran Torino comes at him again, this time from behind, and Izuku is sent flying back towards the center of the living room. "What, did you have to improvise?"

Izuku, now certain this isn't some attack by an outside party, huffs moodily and forces himself to relax. He woke me up out of that dream for this? More training? I was about to explore the place!

"Yeah, well, it's not like I was expecting an early morning ambush to happen," he mutters, his face souring.

"And that's exactly why you're stupid. You should always be prepared for anything the world might throw at you." Gran Torino fixes Izuku's stance into an offensive position (did he literally just fucking teleport to Izuku's side?), his cane whacking his shins as an incentive to stay like that. "Nothing is a surprise as long as you don't make it one."