35) relocate

Toshinori is usually a patient man.

As the number one hero, he kind of has to be. He wouldn't be where he is otherwise. Sure, he runs headfirst into battles sometimes on nothing more than a whim and is probably too reckless for his own good, but he's certainly not stupid.

He isn't a child, and nor is he innocent by any means. He knows that good things come to those who wait.

In this very moment, however? In this specific circumstance? Toshinori is finding it very hard to be patient now. He doesn't want to just sit here and do nothing. That's not what heroes do. That's not what a mentor is supposed to do.

Toshinori is usually a patient man, but not when his kid is involved.

"I don't understand why I can't see him," he mutters, pacing the length of the large office with a hand on his chin. He's irritated, but he has every right to be.

"Calm yourself, please," Principal Nezu says. The mammal pushes a cup of golden liquid his way. "Would you like some tea?"

Toshinori stops pacing to stare at his boss. Is he seriously asking if he wants tea? Now, of all times? He shakes his head and resumes his troubled thinking. "I'm fine, thank you. I'm more concerned as to why you're keeping me here, Nezu."

A small sigh leaves the principal. "Don't be so dramatic, Yagi. If you truly didn't want to be here, you simply would not be. I doubt even I would be able to stop you from leaving this campus."

Honestly, Toshinori doubts that. Who knows what kind of contraptions the smaller hero has in this very office? Hell, he most definitely has some form of All Might level restraints. Toshinori isn't naive enough to believe he'd win easily in a fight against the mammal, especially when you take into account Nezu's intelligence. The number one hero won't stand a chance if his boss has access to his own equipment and support weapons.

Toshinori shivers at the mere thought. But besides that.

"You still haven't answered my question," he says in annoyance, glaring out the window. There's something about his boss that's making his nerves twitch. It's making it hard to keep his composure.

"I'm sure you're aware that Midoriya isn't doing very well, Yagi. Both emotionally and physically, the boy's well-being has been compromised." There's the sound of small clinking; Nezu is stirring his tea. "I'm afraid that seeing you would do more harm than good. He needs time to settle in."

Toshinori's head snaps toward him. "Settle in? They're taking him now?"

The mammal hums and waves at the clock on his desk. "He will be released from the hospital in less than an hour, if all things go as planned. Aizawa and Yamada will be taking him to their household then."

Damn it all. It's been a day since he left the boy's side to go to that stupid meeting—a day since Nezu stopped him from returning to him. And the worst part is the mammal hasn't even given him a straight answer as to why.

"Why can't I see him just for a few minutes? He is my successor, Nezu! I promised to be there for him—!" Toshinori dissolves into a fit of coughs and pointedly ignores the tissue box Nezu slides across the desk. "He probably thinks I don't want to see him. He's going to overthink things and worry himself sick if I don't come to see him!"

"I understand, but it's important that you remain here for the time being. It would help Midoriya more in the long run if you gave us a little insight to this particular situation."

No, Toshinori thinks bitterly. You just want to use me to out all of his secrets.

The hero sighs and swipes a large hand down his bony face. "What do you want to know?"