17) dangerous combination

(AHHH LOOK!! This is by @myyszka.png on IG!! I love it so much sdfsdag)

All Might ends up giving Izuku a week to decide, which is honestly a lot more time than the boy deserves. It's not enough, though. Could any amount of time ever be enough? Not for this, Izuku thinks. Never for this.

He's running through the city, bōstaff clutched tightly in one hand as he glides over rooftops and street wires. It's getting a little warmer out, and he's incredibly thankful for that fact. His costume doesn't do much against the cold.

He has to distract himself, at least for a little while. Patrolling usually does the trick; it helps calm his nerves. Getting into little skirmishes with criminals helps ground him, in a way.

Because here's the thing: Izuku loves the fight. He loves it more than he loves living, because it feels good, because it's familiar, because it's the one thing he can control. Because as insane or sick as it sounds, the split second before his fist connects with bone and flesh is the only second where he can breathe.

And by god does he need to breathe at this very second.

He's very close to breaking down. He can feel it. He can feel the itch under his skin, the tightness near his eyes and mouth; everything feels so acutely wrong and he doesn't know why. Actually, scratch that, he does know. Just doesn't want to admit it.

Izuku already knows the story about One for All. Has known since the very beginning, even before All Might came into his life. How could he not with who his father is?

And that's another issue entirely. Izuku fights because it's all he knows. He wants to fight, because it's easy for him. He needs it, which is why he's out here today. This situation of his is peculiar, and it's making Izuku feel worse than ever.

He's leading All Might on. Deep down, there has always been that small inkling at the back of Izuku's mind that says he's only training me because he's getting old and needs a successor, but he's never let himself believe that for more than a moment. He's not a good choice to be anyone's successor, much less All Might's.

Izuku briefly wonders if All for One is included on that list, but then pushes that thought away. He doesn't need another reason to spiral into that pit of despair.

Maybe his thinking isn't entirely incorrect. Maybe he is nothing but a pawn in All Might's game, just the next step in the course to defeating the evil in this world, as that's what One for All's purpose is, right? To defeat All for One?

Would he have offered it to me if he knew who I was—no, who I am?

Izuku doubts it. He'd probably be in a dark prison cell if the number one hero knew. Tartarus doesn't sound too improbable, if he's being honest, but that would be the best case scenario. More than likely Izuku would be experimented on like some lab rat since having multiple quirks is practically unheard of.

The Commission has done it before. Izuku knows they won't hesitate to do it again, even with a child.

The other thing that's been nagging at Izuku is that he hasn't told Kacchan about All Might's offer. His friend will obviously be on board with it if it means Izuku will tell someone about his powers, which will never happen. Not if he has any say in it, at least.

And Izuku hates it. He hates the situation. Hates the lying and the confusion and the feeling in his gut that's telling him to just give in. He hates himself for even thinking about accepting the quirk. He already knew about it, of course, but it doesn't make it any better. He shouldn't even be near All Might, much less talking to him and training with him and eating fucking sandwiches with him.