Chapter 39 - What do I look like?

Ares watched Sera with a steady but alert gaze. He had no intentions of falling back but rather face the boy head-on. Sera quickly grabbed a hold of Ares' wrist.

His hand-coiled more tightly around the older man's wrist; a chill sank into his skin. The coldness of the boy's grasp could compare to a fallen corpse on an icy battlefront.

A sudden shift in the air revealed itself, as ice began to gather rapidly, forming itself from nothing. Flakes of ice quickly spiralled and spurned itself into lances. Without a wasted second each lance advanced towards Ares. It happened quickly, so quickly in fact it surpassed the regular human's capacity to keep up.

With no sense of urgency, Ares grinned at the boy whilst simultaneous avoiding his eyes.

The ice lances each stopped at Ares' neck, each surrounding him on all flank's, inches away from his skin.

The boy spoke his voice slow and croaky, "...why trample on me so?"

Ares only felt the cold air in his lungs, he couldn't find an answer for the boy.

A bloodied tear ran down Sera's face, leaving a stained trail. "Each time you're close I'm filled with aching; I wish I hadn't met you."

Ares could feel himself wavering but remained upright due to the grasp Sera had on him.

The red in sera's eyes shone deeper and the ice collapsed, only then did Ares begin to notice something amiss. He lost the ability to move completely, he knew that it was Sera's doing.

The boy also had remained still, however, something strange began to occur. On the boy's arms, the skin began to bubble and burst, pieces of flesh were a brew of blood, like it was on fire boiling him from within.

As if he was not being afflicted Sera remained somewhat indifferent to what appeared to be excruciating torment. His eyes glazed with impassiveness.

But his voice sang a different story "Dez" he called softly. bloodied tears fell from his face, "...I'm in pain..."

A warm light appeared then embraced, Ares who was confused by Sera's intentions. Nothing apparently, he recognised to be amiss except the skin his oppositions arms. The skin had settled all frothing and bleeding.

But after a closer and more focused gaze, Ares could see something fairly bewildering. Underneath the blood, he could see ever so vaguely something he could only describe as scales intertwined with the boy's skin.

Sera's eyes shut abruptly and the light slowly faded. Ares was now able to move. Nothing visibly happened, only that his head felt somewhat less burdened and his body felt only slightly heavier.

He threw a gown over the boy's body and held him carefully in his arms.

He'd previously told Sera to hate him and only faintly wished the boy would hurt him. Now it was more painful he did neither. And again, he was in tatters. It was a terrible thing.

Perhaps he did feel remorse if indeed this is what remorse in fact felt like. There was a tightness in his throat and in his chest followed by an unfamiliar wavering in his self.

Just as he left the room he was met with Ingrims stunned visage. Ares didn't bother with him and merely passed by him. Phyllis's quarters wasn't too far away.

"My Lord?", Ingrim blurted, following the pair closely.

Ingrim was growing incompetent by the second, he dares to gawk at his King and has the audacity to recognise him by the wrong title too.

"Remove yourself from my sight" Ares stopped cleanly in his tracks as soon as the words left his mouth. His eyes widened in shock and a slow understanding followed. His voice had changed massively, now sounding pitchy and juvenile. Well comparatively more so in his case, having collected years on the battlefield his voice was much more coarse and dense.