Chapter 9 - Another Victim

It had been too long and for that, I grant you faithful believers with a mass release 

The witch did stop his clanging.

Immediately after the man felt compelled to smoothen out his harsh choice of words, as this was the first time sharing his cell with another.

"what are you guilty of, or are you just another victim of the emperor?" the man inquired with a softer edge to it.

The witch blinked in confusion, what was he guilty of? He too doesn't know. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked.

'Probably not' the man thought to himself. "how old are you" he felt the other person sounded like a child, the man couldn't see the witch as it was midnight and everything was pretty much a blur. The lighting underground was especially indistinct, somehow, he was able enough to make out his eyes.

The witch thought about the question and paused for a moment before answering, "I'm sixteen, I think", well at least according to what Dez told him.

The man didn't find his hesitation or indecisiveness at all strange, deducing the younger person was a commoner. 'Poor thing' the man thought, he has guessed it was probably over nothing; however, it was a very common tale provoking the emperor was.

"I'm sorry," the man said.

"Hmm, why are you sorry?"

"I'm going to die soon, so I'm talking more than normal".

"Why are you going to die?" the witch asked.

"Because I'm here, right now it's inevitable"

"You don't have to die," the witch said.

"Saying such careless things is irresponsible, right now that very truth is inevitable for me and nothing can change that"

"Okay," the witch was confused but chose to remain quiet knowing it was better that way. From where he was placed the witch couldn't quite make out the figure. But the other person voice was low and clear pronouncing every word fully and carefully.

A considerable amount of time had passed and the witch sat down in the painful silence and dismal darkness. It was unknown how long exactly, the darkness only seemed to grow even thicker.

Staying in such an eerie place for so long was maddening, eventually, the man across him stopped talking which was perhaps the only thing keeping himself sane.

The witch's stomach growled demandingly, aware of its need for sustenance. His growl seemed to echo through the dreadful dungeon.

The witch sat up abruptly disturbing the chains 'it's about time now'.

Woken by the disruption the man sluggishly drifted his eyes towards that direction. And the next thing he saw startled him awake into a flinch.

He squinted his eyes in confirmation to see if his eyes weren't hallucinating out of lunacy. Burning magnificently across him was a mysterious blue flame seemingly growing in size. At first, it lit up calmly spreading its flame, then out of it spurred out furiously. The fire began spitting out smaller embers outwards.

Shocked and scared at the current strangeness occurring words seemed to fail to come to the man's mouth. All he could do is gawk in fear, from the blue flame he could just about make out a figure. He'd just realised that it was the person who he was recently conversing with, that person was now on fire. "You! are you okay, try to roll on the floor" the man advised obviously panicked.

The palace's dungeon was currently empty, there were no guards monitoring the two prisoners as the cell walls were thick and the iron bars are sturdy, so the chance of escape was humanly impossible.

But that wasn't the reason why no guards monitored, instead it was because such a dark and foul place were unsuitable for those who worked for the emperor.

Embers began to fall from the witch, the man could see the witches face perfectly embracing the flames. It was completely entrancing the beauty seemed to completely calm and undisturbed in regard to the flames.

Pink eyes seemed to pierce the darkness. And rather than the fire engulfing him, rather it seemed to dance around his being.

The man opposite the witch was shivering, 'despite being covered in flames the person was okay? it was impossible', he didn't understand what was going on.

The flames eventually died down and disappeared completely. The witch was finally free, the whole purpose of the fire was to melt the chains which restricted his movements. Of course, a witch cannot be harmed by their own power hence why they didn't burn him, also his ornaments remained unscathed. However, In the process, his clothes were lost but the witch was secretly satisfied because he didn't quite like them.

"hey are you still alive" the man shouted half expecting no response, he started to truly feel as if he were slipping into the brink of madness.

Amongst the darkness, the witch could barely see the other person.

Therefore, in his hand he twisted his wrist slightly letting small flickers of light escape and flow throughout the cell, the small light beams illuminated the surroundings magnificently wrapping the cave in a glowing light.

It was certainly crystal clear to the man that the person in front of him wasn't ordinary and most importantly he was not chained.

That black hair he recognised who it was. "you're that witch!" he exclaimed venomously.

The witch flinched at his harsh tone of voice "yes?" he frowned whilst answering he hadn't had the slightest idea to why the man's anger was so great.

"It's your fault, every single thing it is all your fault." The man attempted to launch forward but the chains forbade him to do so and cruelly made him come to a crashing halt. He continued angrily his body erected towards the witch "the very fact I'm here now is because of you!", letting his anger consume him he shortly forgot about the event which had just occurred.

The witch was startled even though his expression remained passive 'he did something wrong?'.

All of a sudden, the man made an enlightened expression as if he figured something out. "those chains you melted them off with that fire?"

"Uhm" the witch nodded. He'd done that so that he could eat since the chains made that harder to happen and his clothes seemed to burn along with it. He'd preferred to be in his natural state anyway.

"You can burn iron and reduce it to nothing?"

The witch nodded harmlessly not catching on to what he was leading to.

The man seemed to adjust his line of thoughts. 

hehe, keep posted much more to follow, thank you guys for reading and standing strong despite my longgggggg procrastination.