Chapter 15 - Painful

Just when Ares recovered, he was treated to the scene with one of his men purging the prisoner, on any other occasion this would've been fine, but at this point, he couldn't understand where his burning anger came from and why he so desperately wanted to crush his own subordinate.

"Stand down" he ordered, causing everyone who heard his voice to shiver in response and as ordered the aggressor retreated abandoning his blade.

The man in the middle of this pathetically scrambled towards the witch's side.

The witch looked down at his chest wide-eyed at the occurrence, he could feel the pain fill his entire body. Each breath he drew felt like the blade was further piercing his chest, so he shortened his breaths.

He then carefully took a hold of the sharp blade protruding from his chest and a frosty sheet of ice quickly materialised from his fingertips spreading throughout the blade, stabilising it in place. After that the witch quickly fell weakly to the floor, he couldn't summon any strength to move and just staying on his fours was straining enough.

The man finally reached the witch but he didn't know how to act, after all, this pain and suffering could've been avoided. The witch was terribly pale and he just looked at him blinking as if that the only thing keeping his eyes from losing focus, he opened his mouth to speak but no words followed. Perhaps because he was in intense pain and just speaking would worsen it, the man guessed.

He touched the witch's pale cheek with shaky hands, "I'm sorry" he apologised. I don't know to do"

"Move him" a voice interrupted and two men in dark clan armour appeared and dragged the man away.

"w..aah" the witch's throat filled with blood unable to even formulate a single word.

"He's going to die...and so will you if you don't stop playing around" a voice coming from above the witch.

Ares paused for a while as if waiting for something to occur, but after a while, a disappointment clouded his eyes "forget it kill him" he said.

The witch's short breaths began to hasten, causing the pain in his chest to worsen, he gripped the dirt on the floor trying with all his remaining strength to rise. Somehow, he managed to get onto his feet, the wound was as if it were on fire and his whole body was pulsating in pain. His breathing became heavy and slow he dragged himself forward, it was as if he wasn't getting any closer.

"wai...urg" he reached out his arm and tried to formulate something in his palm but each build up kept collapsing.

"I'm sorry and thank you. For everything, you gave me a chance to live" the man spoke from across the witch.

'No wait, please don't...please don't leave' "ple..uhu" he coughed as blood rushed to clog his throat and once again his words were stuck.

The witch looked at the man with blurring vision if he wasn't mistaken, he believed he saw a smile but his eyes were the opposite.

'Goodbye' he mouthed and just then a crisp bone-chilling ring resonated, then two stiff thuds hit the floor.

"ahh" the witch felt every single ounce leave his body, he collapsed onto his knees and lying In front of him was the lifeless head.

"I'm surprised you managed to get this far yet you didn't save him"

"Well, it didn't matter he was going to die, as for you such a disappointing farce. I will just watch as the colour slowly drains from your body, your breath will fade and your eyes will become a cloud of nothingness.

"hu...uughh!" the witch let out a painful anguished cry distorted by a gurgling liquid. He reached his out with his shaky hands and held the bleeding head close to his face, not caring about the blood oozing onto him.

Ares frowned somehow dissatisfied by the current occurrence.

"Take the head" he ordered dismissively. "I want it displayed on a pike"

The witch looked up to see two dark figures approaching him, his face distorted and the whole of his eyes lit.

'he's not coming back'

He can't he's gone forever

Before they reached him, the boy stood up his lips twisted in an unsettling frown and his eyebrows were tightly knotted together. As he stood the ground became loose and a powerful wind emulated from him.

First, the barks of the tree's creaked unsettling lay, then each of them near him split and snapped, the closer the trees were the worse state they would become.

The closer Knights struggled not to crumble under the powerful force pushing them away they could barely hold their ground for a minute before they fell to the ground. Subconsciously these hardened powerful Knights inched backwards.

The boy stopped in his tracks his face a cluster of complete anger.

The black knights began to look at each other sharing the same unsettled confusion and unease. But before anything could occur Ares calmly appeared before the witch, the dark veins appeared on his face they were extremely close to the surface of the skin they were practically protruding. The air around him seemed to get numbingly cold, so much that Ares felt his fingers turn stiff. Ares didn't need to be a genius to immediately understand the cause of the commotion. Ice was forming very quickly below the boy's feet, spiking dangerously around him.

Ares grinned widely in unsettling anticipation he took a stance to balance himself from the shifting ground, 'this was it'.

Facing the witch properly Ares couldn't help but narrow his eyes in confusion from the witch's mouth blood seemed to flow out even more furiously than before as he took a better look, he noticed the blood also exited from his nose and ears.

It wasn't good at this rate he would die before anything, it wasn't good enough. He walked directly towards the witch who stared at him his expression just like a wild wounded animal.

The witch gripped the head tighter in his grasp, Ares immediately picked up on that action. The temperature further decreased to a bone-chilling degree as Ares narrowed the distance between them.

"You're useless as you are right now." not wasting a single moment Ares lunged forward and landed a firm blow at the back of the witch's neck. The witch quickly fell unconscious immediately stopping the chaotic build-up.

Ares held the witch upwards preventing the witch from moving the blade anymore. "Someone fix him, I don't want him dead".

One of the shadow knight's requirements to serve the emperor was to be at least adept in the arts of healing, it increases efficiency and that way casualties would be minimal.

Anyone who knows the emperor understands the immense weight of each word that exits his mouth, and the consequences of failing to meet his orders meant no more than death. So, for their current impossible task, they had to pull off a miracle.

Andd imma leave it to that for now, I have a few more chappies but they need editing. So I'll be back with more very soon hopefully later today or tomorrow.