Chapter 13 - I Will Protect You

He'd remembered that the witch had done something previously that was possibly a clue to his current disposition.

"Hey" he called for the witch looking sternly in his direction.

"Hmm" the witch answered peering upwards

"My feet" he hesitated for a short moment trying to figure out the right words to use, "you fixed them didn't you, that thing from before caused it, right?"

The witch nodded hesitantly initially confused at the question.

The man was extremely surprised, he withdrew his hostile stare and chuckled under his breath. He had just to a realisation about the witch from all he's witnessed each and every move the witch has taken can be describes as illogical, clueless or even needless.

Instantly as always, he would give someone an assessment judged by their actions, as every action a person takes gives you a clue on their true nature and purpose but the person before him is just a clueless who follows and listen to a stranger so loyally – just like what a child would do. Because not a single action he took was of benefit to himself. Knowing that did allow the man to relax greatly and lower his guard, but not yet fully.

"I wondered about this before, but why is it with so much power you were able to be captured, how is that possible?" he asked.

"My powers won't hurt people"

"But if they were going to hurt you would you let them," the man asked.

The witch didn't answer

"How about me, would you let others hurt me?"

"I will protect you," he said determinedly.

"Why would you go so far...?" the man frowned, 'the witch wouldn't protect himself but would protect him?'

"Because you're not scared of me" he answered.

The man finally understood, he had almost forgotten what a witch's existence meant to people, despite not long ago being the same way when the circumstances where different.

A witch meant a cursed being, the unnatural one, the unholy one or death. he couldn't even imagine what sort of life one would live under that title, or how a person could even live.

To some extent of the man was certain to have a sort of grasp of the child's mind, 'it made sense his strange attachment to him in particular'. However, at this point, it didn't seem as confusing.

The man became curious "do you have a family" in truth he wanted to know if he had a mother as it was known that only witches conceive witches and the very fact there is a male witch, is the first he's heard of it, but they all were supposed to have been completely erased.

'But was it possible there were other existing hidden witches?' the man became more increasingly intrigued by his own thoughts.

"No" the witch answered.

"What about your mother, surely you know something about her"

"No, I never had one"

"You're saying the person who gave birth to you and raised you, you know nothing about her?" the man gaped.

"Is it strange?"

"No, it's sad", he sighed.

"Why"

"Because you don't know the person who gave your life, the person to teach you about love, the person to protect you."

"I had Dez, so I don't think I'm sad but..." he paused for a while, "But he's not here anymore"

The man wanted to ask more but he heard something, "get up" he said. A feeling of unsettledness engulfed his very presence.

The witch got up in haste sensing the man's impatience.

"We need to go now," he said anxiously. Immediately the man grabbed hold of the witch and headed off towards the denser part of the woods.

A low vibration rumbled throughout the forest and despite moving quite speedily it seemed to continuously follow them and edge even more frighteningly closer.

The man kept looking over his shoulder as if the cause of his terror was hovering right behind him but to his narrowing assurance, it was just tight cluster of greenery and towering trees.

The witch ran right behind in a clumsy and disorderly stagger, struggling to regain balance "can you slow down?" he asked gasping desperately.

"No! do you want to die?" the man retorted loudly.

The witch could feel the fallen branches and pointed rocks pierce and prod at his foot, he winced in pain but didn't allow any of the pain to leak from his mouth.

Unexpectedly, the man felt the surrounding go quiet, it was unsettling. The man suddenly stopped and stared at the surroundings.

"Ahh," the witch exclaimed in a sudden painful cry. An arrow had just pierced straight through the witch's shoulder.

The man nearly fell over in dread, they were surrounded, and he did not for a second believe they were getting away unscathed.

Slowly figures came to reveal themselves from beyond the green shade of tree's, not even one direction was clear of the towering statue-like figures.