Chapter 33 - Return

Natashya placed herself on high-terrain in order to witness the moment his majesty finally approached the castle.

Flags and banners paraded high and she could see the armoured men shifting. Their feet made a synchronised clanking, that got louder with each approach. Even from a far distance, she could make out the hundred tall figures of the battalion, she could feel the tremor of their march reverberate all the way to the outside of the castle walls.

She threw Ingrim a look that he could make out for impatience, and he shook his head to tell her not now.

The closer they got she could almost taste the mixed scent of the steel and blood besmirching the air. Ares led the march mounted on the horse with several others. Both he and his men were like moving-statues, somehow so still, yet so structured and united.

***

Ares slumped into the large bath he sighed with a short grunt. Clearly weary from his travels Ares had his eyes closed.

"Was it a taxing task tending to that boy, Ingrim?", Ares started after a few minute's silence, "The circles underneath your eyes have worsened," he furthered.

Ingrim who was besides a pillar waited until he finished to chime in, he wavered before speaking. "He's dead"

He waited for Ares' input or rebuke, which he'd expected, however it did not come. Instead, when he peered at the man, he saw that his jaw was tightly clenched, and his eyebrows were pinched together. The goosebumps sprouted from Ingrim's skin instantly and the air around him became so dense, it was physically suffocating.

He continued without prompting, "It has been over a week now. Since the boy has passed and the searchers have covered the maximum radius possible. His body was said to be taken as food. Wanted sheets have spread everywhere by now, almost the entire kingdom should know in case he's alive and..."

"How?", Ares cut him off, his tone came off far too calm.

Unsure by the vague question but familiar with Ares' habits; Ingrim told Ares everything that had taken place from 'Sera disappearing to the princess's involvement. Even down to the recent captive that claimed the boy's death whilst carrying his jewellery and hair as evidence.

Ares was listening attentively his eyes completely stone-cold. "Who dealt with the captive?" he suddenly asked.

"Phyllis"

"Phyllis? He can go as far as he needs to and remind him of who is involved"

"Your majesty" Ingrim chimed.

Ares threw water on Ingrim's face when he approached, "He's not dead" he stood up suddenly "And that Natashya has gotten audacious," Ares remarked almost to himself. "how dare she? To spit in my face with such a blatant display of disregard"

Perhaps it didn't occur to him that the well behaved Natashya would be the one to finally act out.

Ares remained still figuring out his next move, "Summon my Court and I want Natashya executed within this following week. Keep her confined in the dungeon for now. And Ingrim I will warn you this once, don't ever assume you can conceal anything from me. If my attendant is biased, I will have no further use for him"

"No, your majesty. I wouldn't dare". Ingrim felt sweat build on his back, after this, he knew he would most certainly be scathed by this.

"Your sole task was to take care of him", Ares reminded him.

Ares didn't expand anymore but enough was conveyed for Ingrim to understand. If couldn't handle a single task what was the purpose of him?

----

It was cold and he couldn't move. Sera's eyes were heavy like it was being held closed, but with a struggle, he could just about make out the sun.
It peaked through the thick set of leaves high above him.

A constant repetitive echo of whimpering and howling sounded before him and was met with a stunning set of yellow eyes. A warm wet sensation passed his cheek, then a long howl reverberated followed by many more.

It took a moment but the witch had realised who the howl had belonged to, 'it was that same old wolf, he was alive'. Hot tears began to burn at his eyes and he couldn't help but shake.

He was told 'he needs to grow-up if that means others won't get hurt than he didn't mind. He can't forgive easily nor back down'.

Again, another night had passed Sera could not move nor summon his power, each day he got weaker. The wolf would always bring meat, berries and other things but the only thing he could move was his eyes which got more taxing each day.

Eventually, Sera could not even do that. Everything hurt him there was no defining pain just simply pain, hunger and an uncomfortable stench that wouldn't leave him.

*

"Such a grand pack of wolves, just under a hundred perhaps" a relaxed voice trailed.

The wolves retreated from their individual's posts allowing the man in dark robes past ."Is that them parting for me"

The obvious leader that controlled the pack of wolves stood, he was laying on a thick set of leaves and brambles.

"That's a big one never saw one of that size..." the man who had a nonchalant attitude from the very beginning shut his mouth when he saw the human figure that lay at its feet.

He quickly shot forward as he pulled out a knife and was just as quickly confronted with a thundering snarl that threatened to shatter his eardrums.

The man stopped with the realisation that this wolf was not his opponent, not because he feared its strength. But, rather the stance it took was clearly a protective one. And on closer inspection the body that was clearly the one, that he –one of many others – was tasked to find. It appeared to be intact, albeit it was very wounded but didn't seem to be gnawed at nor torn apart. Rather than a beasts doing, it seemed to lean more toward a humans handiwork.

He sheathed the weapon and approached very slowly not prompting the massive wolf to tear his face off. He did, however, send out many warning snarls whilst the man in black checked the boy's condition. There was a very faint breath leaving his nose and his face appeared to be bordering toward being emaciated. His king's reaction towards the boy's condition worried him deeply.

Wherever he could, he applied aid, but the rest was beyond him and needed Phyllis' immediate attention. The man was just about to pull the boy onto his shoulder when he remembered the creature behind him.

"I need to take him. If I leave him, he'll die", the man looked slightly out of place he watched the wolf with serious eyes, hoping that he'd understand.

The wolf let out a bored sounding huff and turned his back.

"He'll survive" the man sighed and carefully held the boy over his shoulder, he could tell that this boy he carried was cherished by nature.