Chapter Two

...

It was after supper when the gardener came to clip the hedges along the entrance path.  He was a big muscled fella and Air guessed him to be aged thirty years.  The back of his white sleeveless t-shirt had a streak of dampness.

He had a wheel-barrow full of clippers and cutters of all shapes and sizes.  He pulled from it a pair of what looked like over-size scissors and left the barrow at the end of the walking stones.  

Air might have waited until after dark or all night for that matter. From what he understood, they knew he was coming and he wouldn't presume to knock and make himself known.

"You've been out here an awfully long time my boy.  You must be thirsty."  The man's eyes showed concern and his voice was pleasant.  He was smiling.

"Ah,  not too long.  I'm Air,  I'm the new tutor,  er, teacher."

The gardener shook his head as if he knew.  He scooted past Air, lifted and banged a bronze elephant-head knocker on the door. 

Half-a-minute later, a nicely dressed and fresh-faced man appeared. He seemed perturbed by the workman, but, his demeanour changed when he saw the school-boy behind him.

"The lad's been waiting out here for three hours, Nong'Fair." 

The gardener knew this because he'd seen young Air standing there ages ago. It's not normally his business to get involved, but when he saw the boy still waiting so much later, he knew something was awry.  It was cursedly hot and there was no breeze to provide relief.

"Get him inside Nong.  The airconditioning and some nice cool water should make him feel better.

Air almost had tears in his eyes when he thanked the man.  "Don't worry about that Son,  welcome here to Wang Nam Farms." (The farm is named after the province.)

Fair did just that.  He ushered Air straight through the house and to an indoor kitchen.  He sat at a little table,  fitted in a window bay that jutted out.  A tall glass of icy water was set down in front of him.  Fair pulled out the second chair and sat across.  "I'm so sorry you waited that long,  but why didn't you knock?"

Unfortunately for Fair,  Air had no answer.  The boy curled his shoulders inward and looked under the table at the slippers Fair had provided.

Fair had a quizzical expression on his face.  "Are you really eighteen?  You look so young."

"I am,  I'm closer to nineteen now."

Air took a big drink of the water and dabbed his temples with a hand towel Fair had given him.

For just a minute,  Fair forgot himself and put both elbows on the table. He held his hands up in a gesture of wonderment.  "Has anyone ever told you that you're ridiculously good-looking?"