Chapter Fifteen

...

It was a full week before Air said anything to anyone.  He waited until Chester had to leave the farm for the weekend.  Chess was attending some kind of farmer's union and grumbled to Fair for days prior to leaving. 
"I wish I could get out of this.  It's too soon,  Air has only been home for a few days."

He didn't talk about it at breakfast and Air never mentioned it at lunch.  Air waited until almost all the food was gone at dinner before he blurted it out.

"P'Chess told me he likes me,  ...,  he loves me."

Air waited for a full ten seconds before he spoke again.  "He said he wants to marry me."

In the living room,  around the corner,  several people started to clap.  Someone said: 
"That's my man, Chess,  wasting no time."

Fair and Green,  Khemp and Sky,  didn't have to fake their shock.  None of them could believe that Air finally said something.

What Air didn't know...  Chess had spilled the beans the morning after Air arrived.  He was still so tired that he slept in late.  Chess told him Del could take one more day off of school.

Air took advantage of that kindness and could remember Chester kissing his back when he got out of bed.

Chester went straight to the worker's house and gushed out his successes to the waiting foursome.

"I told Air I love him, and that I want to marry him someday."

Fair had been standing and pouring everyone's teacups afresh.  He dropped heavily into his seat and left the hot pot on the table.  Green had to shake him so that he didn't burn the wood.

"You went that far, P'?  You didn't even wait for him to get down the driveway."

Chess was shaking his head and grinning gleefully that his plan worked.

"Well,  tell us,  what did he say?"   Sky was asking.

"I think he likes me back.  He doesn't use the word love,  like I do,  but,  but,..."

Chester could have been an excited teenager.  He clenched his fists.  "... he asked me to kiss him."

Eight eyes were on Chess.  They all waited patiently for him to answer the question that no-one asked.

Chess didn't seem to be talking to the guys anymore.  He looked dreamily past them. 
"Air doesn't know anything about kissing,  but he's a fast learner.  He's so...  He's..."

P'Chess?  P'Chess?  

Chester slowly came to.  He answered the unasked question... ("What's next?")

"We're not rushing anything.  I'm going to date him properly."  Chess cleared his throat.
"Air hasn't said that he likes me back yet,  but he said he liked the kissing."