Chapter Five

...

...

With every day that passed and every hour he spent in Air's company,  Khemp felt closer. His desire to kiss Air was becoming overwhelming. Khemp didn't let go of Air's hand until the last second.  He reassured Air, again and again, that he had nothing to worry about, and,  that P'Chess wasn't at all the way Air described him in his rant this morning.  

Air had a chance to tell them the story once Pilot was taken away.  The guys,  Sky and Khemp, walked one on each side of the mud-soaked teacher.

He gave Air a nod just as he pushed the door open.  "I'll be up, Nong,  if you want to talk later."

Khemp could see and feel what came from Air's eyes and the tiny spark of a smile.  Air was thankful.  Khemp handed him over to Fair.

Air was relieved and sighed long.  Chester hadn't come downstairs yet and it gave him a few minutes with Fair.

"P',  I'm really freaked.  I don't think he likes me."  The boy's voice was bruised with emotion.
"I think this will be my last day here."

Those words came close to stopping Fair's heart.  "Nong,  don't say things like that.  I think he already likes you."

"Why would you say that P'?  Didn't you hear him today?  He blames me for the car wreck and he pretended that he,  that he..."

For the briefest moment,  Air thought maybe it didn't matter to Chess if he liked his son's teacher.  Maybe this cantankerous man cared not about the person,  but rather what the teacher could give to his son.

Fair put both arms around Air and hugged him close.  "Nong, when you have dinner with him tonight,  you'll notice that everything on the table will be your favourite foods.  Chess called cook himself and chose the menu."

Air stepped back from Air's warm hug.

His mouth gaped.  "When "I" have dinner?   Aren't you eating with us?"

"No,  Dell,  Green and I are eating at the staff house tonight."

"No P',  no, can't you stay?"

Fair touched Air's bangs,  they were still a bit damp.  "Sorry Nong.  I should get going.  Chess will be down any second now."

This astute house manager knew one thing absolutely, something was going on. Just an hour before Air arrived, Fair saw Tim running across the lawn and into the main house.
Tim was employed on the farm for his skills in animal husbandry.  There was only ever one reason why Chester would call Tim to the house, and that was for Tim's fashion expertise. He was the man Chess called upon when he was attending events or had business meetings abroad. Tim was the guy that made sure Chess got it, just right.

He held Air by the shoulders and looked him over.  "Khemp helped you dress,  didn't he?"

Air confirmed with a single shoulder shrug and a nod.